Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Thomas

Hey...was that ....

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

In order to enlighten those that detected the reduction of a year from those that were faint of heart during the posting of the story behind the story, I can now reveal the other meaning of the decline in age.

I answered part of it in my posting to Stroth.

The other just happens to be the number of years since I started to fish the big ditch at the age of 12 in 1946.

One piece of information which is missing from this answer and that relates to something the Army Corp reguired you have in order to fish along its banks at that time period.

Does anyone know what that is?????

I would also like to see those of you looking in to please indicate the age and year you started your Big Ditch Fishing. Young and Old Farts as My good brother indicated, all have something to share. That is if you so choose to.

Sharing is what we do accept it or not

Angler

Angler.....I'm guessing the Corps, at that time, required that you either place your litter in the trash bins or that you carry out your litter.

As for when I started fishing the Ditch and how old I was......Gosh Carl, I can't even remember to zipper up my fly let alone remember that far back. Sorry.

Joe G

I'll have to admit, I read the posts, and didn't see the decline in age, clever, and indicates that A1 has too much free time.

A1, If nobody picked up on it, would you have mentioned it? (enjoy your posts by the way)

Ditch fishing.... (3 summers total), born in 73

last summer and the one before, losing bait rigs on the bottom, no fish and ALOT of frustration.

this summer, caught fish every time, got skunked once or twice late sept., had a blast, learned a lot.

Twitchlecreak

Southy is my home town, well for fishing it once was any how.

I perhaps would not have revealed the signifcance of the reduction in years, but one needs to truely read between the lines in all of the postings in order to evaluate other points of information that as a fishermen you can benifit from to enable your fishing skills when fishing the ditch.

I lie awake at night trying to reveal what some folks call secrets and I call sharing.

Sharing is what we do accept it or not

Angler

Angler #1,

Except for an occasional trip to the canal in my teen years I didn't really start to fish there until I got out of the service in 1959. That was a time before the regulation of the herring run. A time when most people built a wood frame herring cage covered with hardware wire, a time when we could get as many herring as we needed right at the entrance to the run and with a rope attached to it we would float it to the area where we wanted to fish. A lot of guys at that time also walked the herring along the canal of course there were less people fishing then.

Then my family started to increase in number and I found that I had to work 2 jobs so that my wife could stay home and raise the kids. Needless to say it put a giant kink in my fishing time for quite a few years. However, now that I am retired I have the rest of my life to fish there.

Strippedgear aka Bob smile.gifsmile.gifHappyWave.gif

Stripped Gear I can see it has been a long time since you have live lined at the ditch.

Todays modern fishermen use plastc baskets, but the old wood ones did hold up much better than the present day herring basket.

You will need to try some live lining this next spring. You can make a live well out of your front cooler and go out on the beach. No basket needed, just fish.

Sharing is what we do accept it or not.

Angler