Poppy fishing changes

Rate this topic

Angler #1

If any one decides to fish poppy this year,be prepared for some real good fishing. The channal into Popponesset Bay is being pumped out and the sand is being dumped along the front beach. The channel is very deep and the current really is making up and the tip of the spit should hold some nice fish as the herring migrate to the spawning grounds. The walk out will be well worth it early in the season. Are you ready They are comming. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

I was with Angler#1 when we saw what they had done at Poppy. It is mind bogling to me as to how they are able to vacuum up wet sand from the bottom, in who knows what depth of water and pump it through what looked liked 2 1/2' rubber pipe, over a great distance and deposit on the shore. I would have liked to see it in operation, but they were not pumping when we were there. It must come out the end under tremendous pressure. However what they are doing should create better fishing for us.wink.gif

second the caution on your footing...wasn't there a fella lost it there coupla years ago in the fall...waders filled up and gone...

took a walk that way from Oregon yesterday (2/18)...air temp was 16 degrees F...kneecaps were purple when we got back home..not a single blue or bass sighted(yuk-yuk...)

luke

with sharp hooks and fresh bait
in a crepuscular dawn we breathlessly wait.
some repose in cathedrals and dream about fishin
I just keep smiling and let His hand shape my mission...
(*member formerly known as 'luker')

how can it possibly get better? where exactly were they dumping the sand? off the sponge bars? the cuurent in the rip is already flying? by the way, the gent who died there stepped off the other side of the channel, where the sponge lines the inlet. dropped straight down, no chance without neoprene. probably washed up in osterville somewhere.

Salty part-time writer, full-time fishing fool...

The best way to describe the sponge is that material that is left over after the dune grass died off from being covered to long by water. The dune grass root system is in massive clumps and all types of creatures from sea worms to clams make it a home. When the grass dies off the base becomes very slick as a different plant life begins to take hold. Some of the creatures that survived during the the tide changes,from being covered to drying out also begin to die off and the combination of both changes in the root system make walking on it while under water a piece of glass. This is my opinion,maybe golden can add his insite to the question. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

it definately is slick; but also squishes a bit like sponge when standing. i'm not sure if i can add anything to the biology of it; we've just grown into the habit of calling it "the sponge", at Poppy. besides lining the cape side(not the outer edge) shore of the poppy inlet, there is also an area/point facing seaward which drops off about 1 - 2 feet or more(depending on erosion, etc...).

this can be an awesome spot to cast for blues/bass. Try wading off it at night as it is generally very shallow, just watch for chunks of sponge that have broken off. easy to trip on. plan on high tide/dropping. i'll be hitting it in May.

Salty part-time writer, full-time fishing fool...

Sure: Captain Steve Moore. I'm 36 yo. Been fishing the Cape since I was born, as my great grandfather owned about 1,000 acres of land that stretched from Eastham to Welfleet on the bay side. I have two boats I keep on trailers in Centerville. One is a Maritime Skiff 1609 and the other is a Parker 1800. I use the Maritime for flats fishing in the Bay as it has a poling platform and floats in very skinny water. I use the Parker mostly in the Sounds (Nantucket/Vineyard).

I was on the staff of Salt Water Sportsman magazine for 5 years and I am the past Chairman of the Massachusetts chapter of CCA, which I have been a member of since it's inception (in New England as NECCA). I've spent a considerable amount of time throwing flies at and getting frustrated by fish in many different oceans and locations around the world.

SM

Capt. Steve Moore
Slamdance Charters

I would like to guess how you came to use the name slamdance. I see that you like fly fishing and undoubtly you are on a casting platform while casting to fish. Every time a boat goes by you have to do a little dance to stay on the platform while being slammed by the wake of another boat.Do you know a Dick MacNeil from Wellfleet? In my younger years I used to fish with Frank Woolner at some of the beaches In South Boston after he would get through work. He was not a bad fisher. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Angler: No, I am not familiar with Dick MacNeil, although the name sounds familiar.

I went to work at the magazine after Frank Woolner had stepped down so I never worked with him. I did meet him a couple of times and have heard he was known to catch a fish or two every now and again.wink.gif

Capt. Steve Moore
Slamdance Charters