Eric_S

Halibut in MA

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

Few know about it, however there was one caught this spring that size by a friend of mine fishing a particular Sandwich beach , just say'n ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by capie 01 View Post

Few know about it, however there was one caught this spring that size by a friend of mine fishing a particular Sandwich beach , just say'n ...

Wow!!!  That's a once in a lifetime catch.   

Atlantic Halibut is near the top of my bucket list fish. I need to get that one off the list in the next few years.

Still an uncommon catch on this coast. Far more numerous in north Pacific and Alaskan waters. Have caught the Pacific variety, excellent eating. :drool:

-bd

Still an uncommon catch on this coast. Far more numerous in north Pacific and Alaskan waters. Have caught the Pacific variety, excellent eating. :drool:

-bd

Ok, so maybe more that a few years...

I want to try for a halibut this spring from my boat. I was told you don't need a boat that can run out to Cashes or Fipps although the odds of hooking one might be better out there.  My plan is to fish gravel bottom valleys of SE Maine in 200-300 ft instead a few times instead of fishing the shallows of Jeffreys for haddock. 

On 8/22/2014 at 2:33 PM, PRBuzz said:

Here's the total story: July 19, 2014 aboard the F/V Fishbucket out of Admirals Marina, Chelsea MA under the control of Captain Mike Delzingo with a crew of 6. Left dock at 3AM for an 18hr day of fishing on the humps way east of Boston. The bite of good sized cod up to 15lbs/haddock 5-6 lbs/pollack to 20 lbs had slowed way down about 1:30-2pm. Capt Mike searched the humps until saying OK lets do a "blind squirrel" drop, bottom looks interesting but no fish marks....approx 320-300ft deep. I fish with a Penn 114H loaded with 65lb PP and have about 75' of 100lb mono leader. Slowly drifting directly off the stern with the line relaxed dragging, lightly bouncing the bottom with a 18oz Norwegian jig and 3 sand eel-like teasers. DAMN snagged the bottom, maybe another BIG cod as we had caught several throughout the day and similar feel. Reel drag pretty much already at max, turn the handle and nothing. Kept trying and shortly thereafter start the slow movement off the bottom, about 1/2 way up ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ all the way back down. Capt Mike fishing off the bow hears the screaming reel and doesn't believe it is a ground fish but maybe a shark as no ground fish can pull drag like that! This happened 3 times as the fish made strong runs for the bottom. Steve K next to me hooked up just before me and boats a nice wolf fish, "sorry Steve, just get that thing back into the water as there's a real fish still on the lines". Crew is getting curious and clearing lines and deck. Oooops one line entangled, oh no there goes the fish BUT luckily tangled line on the mono and not the PP, Capt Mike easily removes the tangled line. I think it was just after that Capt Mike gets first look at color and calmly yells HALIBUT!!! Few more turns of the crank and Capt Mike sinks the gaff. I not so calmly scream YES, YES, YES!!! High 5's all around at that point. Had hooked the halibut with a single hook on the treble right in the corner of the mouth. Fish measures 48" and 52 pounds. Capt says that's a wrap we are headed back in, several hour ride on perfectly calm waters. What a day!

what a great fish way to go 

16 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

I want to try for a halibut this spring from my boat. I was told you don't need a boat that can run out to Cashes or Fipps although the odds of hooking one might be better out there.  My plan is to fish gravel bottom valleys of SE Maine in 200-300 ft instead a few times instead of fishing the shallows of Jeffreys for haddock. 

I know that Tim Tower of the BunnyClark has a fair amount of success  ... most of them caught during trips when they are out at Fipps I do believe.  Boated 20-25 keepers or so last year.  On my bucket list for sure.