Halibut in MA

Rate this topic

Eric_S

I have a fairly reliable friend who claims to have seen halibut (he holds his hands about 3-4 feet apart to show size) on more than one occasion while snorkeling during the mid/late spring at a spot north of Boston. I want to believe him, but I haven't tried targeting them yet either. :shrug:

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

Poor Charlie. Thanks for sharing. That's some great stuff... :th:

My former neighbour (a high liner) started out fishing with Jimmy Small years ago. On a winter cod jigging trip they hooked to to a 6-7ft halibut and had it alongside the boat.

My neighbor Charlie Melbye had the line pulled cross deck with all his might while Jimmy sunk the gaff into the fish .

But Jimmy hit a soft spot and the fish headed for the bottom with a codfish bug stuck in Charlie's back.

Charlie's knees slammed against the gunnels and the bug snapped off in Charlie's shoulder blade otherwise Charlie would be on the bottom with the halibut.

It took a two day drunk before Charlie was ready to go again.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

Anyone know if there is a commercial halibut fishery in New England?  I was at a well known seafood restaurant in Boston on Saturday and they had "Local Caught Halibut" on the menu.  Is Alaska considered local these days?

Maine has a commercial fishery, your "local" fish, is more than likely from up here, since the guy who fishes for them, makes trips to Boston to sell them.

Not me in the pic's, but just to give you an idea of the fish, these are all from a week or so ago. Machias Bay 2-6 miles out, about 200 foot of water.

Maine has a commercial fishery, your "local" fish, is more than likely from up here, since the guy who fishes for them, makes trips to Boston to sell them.

Not me in the pic's, but just to give you an idea of the fish, these are all from a week or so ago. Machias Bay 2-6 miles out, about 200 foot of water.

Great pics and thanks for the answer as I wasn't sure....the fish in the first pic is HUGE....must be 80-100 #?....:th:...quick question and I apologize if its a dumb one....is the commercial fishery hook and line like it is for stripers or are they dragging, or long line?...looks like some sort of net gear in the background....

my buddy caught one couple years ago.

whats the name of the boat that goes out to fipps???? id really love to land one of the brutes

Sent you a PM.....don't want to run afoul of the SOL sponsorship rules......

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdowning View Post

I've had fresh caught Alaskan halibut, and it is delicious ! drool.gif

-bd

Same here, in a small alaskan town I was sea kayaking out of back when I was in college...sigh...oh the good old days

You guys have added another fish to my bucket list.

Wig, the top pic, that fish weighed #74.

They use tub trawls to fish for the Halibut.

50 - 100 hooks per trawl.

Recreational anglers can do the same, but at a reduce scale...... some info below.

Gear and Handling Requirements

•Must use size 14/0, 15/0, or 16/0 circle hooks only.

•Maximum of 100 hooks per angler. Maximum of 450 hooks per vessel.

•Tub trawls are legal and anglers must mark the trawl buoys with their name and the words “tub trawl”.

•Atlantic halibut may not be transferred between vessels.

Wig, the top pic, that fish weighed #74.

They use tub trawls to fish for the Halibut.

50 - 100 hooks per trawl.

Recreational anglers can do the same, but at a reduce scale...... some info below.

Gear and Handling Requirements

•Must use size 14/0, 15/0, or 16/0 circle hooks only.

•Maximum of 100 hooks per angler. Maximum of 450 hooks per vessel.

•Tub trawls are legal and anglers must mark the trawl buoys with their name and the words “tub trawl”.

•Atlantic halibut may not be transferred between vessels.

Thanks for the info..:th:...would love to just be on board with these guys to watch them land those barn doors....must be something to see...