Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby

Line keeps tangling!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a Tsunami 9' rod along w/a Captiva 8000 spinning reel loaded with 20lb. Stren. I wade and when I cast(1 out of 15 casts)the line gets a long knot in it. Not all the time, just sometimes. Seems when I go for that extra 10 yds. it happens. I have had it loaded by a reputable tackle shop who loads most of my spinning reels(I do the baitcasters) A Capt. on my local party boat says that that happens because the lne is loaded wrong! Can anyone enlighten me on this matter? It is very easy to get unraveled.

Twists in the line. Are you reeling against the drag? Is there a swivel in system?

Take the line run it out as far as you can with nothing on the end of the line and reel it in slowly under slight pressure. You should see if there are twists in the line as they unravel.

If your on a boat let the line out behind the boat with out anything on it and run for a few minutes then reel in under slight pressure.

Use a conventional they are much better! smile.gif

Just messing with ya!

I gave up spinning rods a long time ago because of the line twist and the inaccurate casting.

Take a look on Daiwa web site on how to load a fishing reel with new line. It is probably the most important thing to do with a spinning reel.

http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/features/tb/

I agree with Harvey, you should not reel while the drag is engaged and if you dont have a swivel things could get nasty after a few casts.

Bobby,

Two of the guys above pretty much said it all.

Firstly, don't try to reel line in if a fish is taking drag or if the drag is a bit too loose as it causes the line to twist.

Secondly, you really do need to cut off some of the line on the spool. You will find that when filled to the factory specs or to the rim of the spool, you will generate "wind knots" which is what you are getting. Just cut back about fifty feet of line and try it. Bet it helps alot.

I'd also be careful about trying to cast light lures into a wind that is blowing into your face. It slows down the lure but the line keeps coming off the spool. Hence, a "wind knot" is generated.

Good luck bud.

Spigola HappyWave.gif

Bobby,

In addition to the above you can try a different brand of line, I have noticed on a few occasions where one brand works better with certain reels. I like to use Ande Tournament green but noticed that on one reel it just twists a lot more than on other reels. No mater what I tried it just didn't work but changing the line brand did help.

I had "hair balls" about every 4 or 5 casts and tried everything,I thought it was the braid I was using,don`t use mono except for a few ft of shock leader. Reloaded 3 or 4 times with different brands,no improvement. I finally solved the problem by retiring my Penn SS and Z`s and went with the new Daiwa Pro Emblem 5000 and the Daiwa Advantage 4500S. The Penn`s don`t lay braid evenly,although my Slammer is a bit more braid friendly, IMHO. HappyWave.gif

I finally solved the problem by retiring my Penn SS and Z`s...

I had maddening wind knot problems last night with my 5500SS. I haven't used this reel in a few years (my numero uno is in the shop) and now I remember why. Braid and the SS's are a bad combo. I'm respooling with mono and living with that until my good reel is back in the starting line-up. Although I can see some wind knots in my future with the mono too redface.gif .

I also feel 20lb test mono on a spinning reel is a bit to much for most reels to handle well. Some line is just to stiff to use on spinning gear. Go down a bit and I'll bet you see results.

D.J.