Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

Eating after the release

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I guess it is impossible to get a definitive answer but i was wondering what you guys think for STRIPERS in the ocean how quickly after you release a fish will it eat?? I was told (myth???) it takes a day or two and until then they won't eat because of the stress from when they were hooked.

I've only caught one tagged fish but that doesn't help because it was a tagged 2 weeks before.

I have caught a fair amount of fish on plugs that had superficial wounds in their mouths that looked no more than a few hours maybe a tide old ???

so what do you think?? how long after release will a striper look for it's next meal?

I was told yesterday while fishing for LMB (trying to get my fish fix, since it hasn't happened in the suds for a while) that a large mouth after hooked won't eat for a couple hours. i know its not a striper but the info was questionable enough to post.

Ant

I think it varies from fish to fish and how the fish was caught and handled.I think a small bass played in green and flipped off the hook will go right back to feeding within minutes.A big old 30 lber played for 20 minutes or longer with a face full of trebles

Maybe a couple of days.Depends,too many variables involved.

Here's a good question...Has anyone ever caught a striper with someone elses lure in it's mouth?I know I never have.Sure lost my share of plugs and them some to a fish too.I've caught fish that have been caught before,sure.I think I remember getting one with an eel hook still in it's lip once.But never once caught a bass with a plug in it's mouth.Anybody?

I know that this is freshwater, and therefore suspect, as we all know that freshwater stripers are nothing like their salty cousins, but I got one the other day that took a swipe at my lure on the next cast.

I am 99% sure that it was the same fish because the point that I got the hit was 40 feet from me in a section of water that I don't generally get strikes and was in a direct line from the release point and the area where the fish was caught in the first place.

So I will say immediately after release. I am also pretty sure that fish in a blitz will return to feeding as soon as they are released.

Here's a good question...Has anyone ever caught a striper with someone elses lure in it's mouth?I know I never have.Anybody?

As close as I can get- five or six pounder with a 4/0 baitholder, 40# mono leader to a three way swivel and 3oz pyramid. Does that count?

"I want one 'o them fish that comes with it's own rig!"

yep,in the last few years a small popper,a lizard on a hook,a ratl trap on another.find all sorts of things in fish......why is it i have the same smallmouth bass hit my plug 2-3 times tho?

I once caught about a 5# striper with a bomber stuck in his head.He swam into my line and the plug got tangled in the line. The fish was released minus to plug which I still have.

I think Ditchjigger once said that he had a huge fish break cut off a line when he was fishing a bucktail up the cape. The next night someone caught a 50 pounder with the same type of bucktail in its throat.

I caught a Bass last year (late colder water) with a bait rig (hook in jaw)and about 36 inches of leader and a 3 oz sinker dragging behing AND it hit a plug.

The fish was released.

I had one exsperience and I'll give it to you quick. Many years ago A friend carelessly left a rod unattended. Bottom line A nice one came by and you guessed it headed towards Perth Amboy N.J. with rod and reel in tow. Never to be seen again even at low tide. The very next night an other fisherman not only caught the same fish but inavertantly thought the other line was mine. Pull it in and low and behold there my friends oufit still attached to the fish. I exsplained the story to him (I was there both nights) and he couldn't really believe it but did after my friend told him. (I was a upper teen size fish.) So the rod/reel finally dug in and acted like a "leash" and was in range for the other bait and went for it. So I know this particular bass was still hungery 24 hours later.I will never forget those nights, a bitter twisted ending.

I plugged up a bass which had a hook in the stomach and a wire leader out it's mouth. I cut the leader as short as I could and released it. The hook looked like it wasn't in there too long.

I had a friend find a rod sticking out of the water while boating and he picked it up. As soon as he did, he realized there was a fish on the end of the line and he landed a 10# bass that was there. He released the fish and kept the rod & reel.

In one of Frank Daignault's books (either Striper Surf or The Trophy Striper, I think), he talks about a custom lure lost on a fish. That same fish, with the lure still hanging in from her mouth, was caught about 2 hours later and 1/2 mile down the beach.