Might as well start

Rate this topic

Bob Thomas

Greetings one and all. I'm looking forward to this new post to call our own. Of course i couldn't think of something creative when i first signed up, so i went with my last name - James Golden. I'm from the Hopkinton/ Rt.495 area(a nice straight shot to the Cape); and have been lucky enough to have family spread along the coast from Southern Maine to Truro, as well as having lived in Sandwich for a couple of years, back. i,ve been working the surf for approximately the past 15 years, mainly the Poppy area in the spring, southern Maine in the early summer, and the outer Cape beaches late summer through the fall, with an occasional trip to little Rhody mixed in. I mostly spin fish and plug, except for eels at night; but I'm contemplating the fly. Looking forward to meeting up with fellow members on the beach one day. See you in the surf!

Salty part-time writer, full-time fishing fool...

Stripped Gear,

Your Castle Island memories are quite nostalgic. I doubt we were ever on the same bus, but I got there the same way. Paper shopping bag with handles, full of newspaper, was gear + tackle box. Don't think I even knew what a stripper was then. I won't say that I have come a long way since then but am still fishing with the same passion.

Taffy 15,

Its good to hear that someone else on this site fished in that area. Like you I never knew what a striper was at that time. I used to fish for Silver Hake (whiting) off of the short pier and mackeral off the long pier. Back then you could fill a good sized bag with silver hake by getting double headers with no problem.

I know that I'm dating myself but I fished that area in the early 50's. How about you?

I lived off of Washington Street half way between Egleston and Dudley Stations. Did you live in that area too or in Southie?biggrin.gif

Stripped Gear,

Lots of memories + brain strain going on here. Grew up Mattapan, fished Castle Island late 50's. As a teenager I fished local ponds etc. Next door neighbor fished Southie every wknd. + introduced me to winter cod. There were still quite a few of those guys around what was left of those piers then. How about tar wharf behind old gas tanks? You must have fished there. Well any way as you can guess, one of those babies(probably 5 to 10 lbs.) + I was hooked for good. Got lisc. early 60's + broadened my fishing horizon's to the Cape,No.Shore among other things. Bob, I was to + from that whole area as a kid (swimming,fishing,hanging around), so the yrs. just seem to gel together. I have trouble remembering time frames of new piers + what I refer to as Sugar Bowl. Real nice throwing this out to you. Take care Mitch

Taffy welcome to the site. Glad to see we have a few Island fisherman around still. I did a couple of pieces on Castle Island that were published several years ago,one was called Memories of Castle Island. Send me your home address and I will send a copy to you. It should bring back a few good memories. anglerjj@cape.com Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

Taffy 15,

I used to ride my bicycle through Mattapan Square on my way up to go fishing at Trout brook in Milton and at other times up to Houghtons Pond to fish and swim.

As you can see be the previous post from Angler #1 that he is very familiar with Castle Island, Kelly's Landing, The Sugar Bowl and many other good spots in the area.

I read that he wrote an article about Castle Island. I am going to ask him for a copy also. If the three of us meet at the Ditch or for coffee, as he likes to do, we can have a good time talking about the times gone by.

Tight lines,

Bob

Stripped Gear,

Ditto, on the bike, to Houghton pond trick. Also I bet what your calling Trout Brook, I called Pine Tree Brook which flowed into a little pond on the right before Houghton. Many an opening day started there at sunrise for me. Have not been up that way for years. So called X-way's + 128's make it so you go right around those areas till you almost forget they exist. Same with Southie. Close as I get to there anymore is the Boat or Sportsman Show. Drive by on the X-way constantly on my way to Plum Island from Taunton. Kinda makes you wanda sometimes huh. Take Care Mitch

Oh nooooo, not another fishing board! My ISP is gonna be reeeeal happy.

Good to see some Canal guys here. They seem to be scarce or just lurk on other boards I've seen. I'm a 24/7 SW fisherman from mid-April to early November and go into hibernation for the rest of the year. Fave spots are just about anywhere I can drive when my car or SO isn't complaining. And, oh yes, the Canal...

Back in the weeds but listenin',

-Bill D.

Pfantum Pfishah

HI Gibbsey here from Attleboro,getting back into fishing now that I have more free time. Plan to fish the canal, Sandy Neck and Rhody. Count me in on the Sandy neck fling.

This is a great board, I've already picked up alot of tips. Hope to meet some of you this year out there.

Mitch hope to have copies in mail before week is up. How about coffee at D.D in Buzzards bay Bob? Welcome to the new additions to the board and there is no need to be lurking,so ask away. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Welcome Steve to the board and just because you fish for a living does not mean that you can not be part of our friendly discussions. Since you now reside in M.V. you must know Buddy Vanderhoop. He is a good supplier of herring,but he is shrewed,so watch him. He is also a fair fisher,just kidding. He knows the island well. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Hi angler#1 thanks did not mean to come accross like I have an attitude.I do not Been here on and of for ten years.I fish everyday I can and still have alot to learn.I know Capt.Buddy V. Very well I know how he can be.Buddy is one of the best Charter guys up Island.That hole Herring thing is a different story.I know what you mean.

Steve my man I did not mean to infer that you had a attitude,[in your words] I was just saying that every one can provide some input and In my opinion we all can share from the experience. I think that the type of fishing we each enjoy recreational or commercial can best be served bykeeping the phone lines open and understanding that a resource can be used as long as it is done with the benifit of the resource in mind. The resource is every thing,without it none of us can enjoy the way we choose to fish. We all must be responsiable for the stocks and only with cooperative effort will they continue to survive and repopulate the numbers. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509