Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndrewNJ

Daiwa and Power Pro Line

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey all, I have a couple of questions:

1.I just bought a 4000 Daiwa Regal-Z for a back-up plugging reel to match with my St.Croix 8 footer. Any comments from those who have used this reel? Is it braid friendly? I heard to be careful not to dunk it.

2. I have used 30# Power Pro on another setup and like it. Has anyone used the 20# and do you like it? I thought slightly smaller diameter would give me a longer cast, but I think I heard the 20# is too wispy and prone to windknots.

Thanks for all cooments.

It's a good reel for the $$. Handles braid well. I have 30# PP on mine. However the reel is plastic. You heard right about the dunking. I just sent mine to an authorized service center cause it's a sand grinder right now....Overall it's a decent reel but if I had to do it over again I might consider others...How about a Daiwa SS2600 or a 1300?

Hey AndrewNJ,

I'm not familiar with that specific Daiwa reel. Concerning the 20# PP, it is wispy and can be prone to wind knots but casts very well since it is so thin. 6/14 Fireline has more memory, acts more like mono, and is about as strong. I used the 20 lb pp on my Shimano Sahara 4000 last night to plug a dozen schoolies in the heavy winds. It worked well, but I broke the line after snagging and it parted at the tip of my rod. There goes half my line. After trying both, I'm going back to fireline. Works a little better for me. Hope this helps.

Mike, Thanks,It is my first experience with a Daiwa..... if OK, I may go for the 3500C SSII.

Korker, Thanks, do you think the 20# will give much more casting distance than the 30#? The 20# has 6lb diameter, and the 30# has 8lb test diameter.

Andrew....I have the same reel and using 50# Whiplash. It works great. Plenty of distance and no knot problems unless the operator falls asleep !!!! Just make sure the line is not looped around the lip of the spool after you cast. Just my .02

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

AndrewNJ,

I would probably use 30lb pp unless you throw mostly light plugs and jigs less than 1 ounce. The 20 lb is a good finesse line and will cast even small bombers farrrr. The 30 is good all around and can handle bigger plugs and surf.

-2 cents worth.

AndrewNJ, I have the same reel just cheaper, the X 4.000. Holds well #30 Power Pro and so far has done an excelent job for me with a lot of big fish (Including Tunas and Saifish). Never used it from the beach though, is on one of my 7'spinning rods.

Ciao

Caranx smile.gif

Andrew

Cant tell you much about the real, but I can tell you that the 20 lb power pro has not let me down yet, and i have some decent Bass on it.I may bump to 30 but i dont have a reason to yet...sometimes people set their drag a little too tight when using braid...big mistake.

I use an 8ft ben doerr surf rod with a EF50 Okuma,mono backing then PP.....talk about a smooth reel and long distance.

NO WINDNOTS WITH THAT COMBO...NONE.

------------------

<{{{SRFtactics><