Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Bournedale run closed for the year

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

The town administrator and selectmen told the DNR to close the Bournedale run effective today.

If you were among the many who sent e-mails to both the selectmen and town administrator give yourself a pat on the back because they helped influence the decision

So there is some hope. Job well done to those who got involved. clapping.gif Hopefully it's not too little too late. Only time will tell.

Hopefully this also means they stopped selling permits there as well. moon.gif

And hopefully it's not like NJ where closing such a run just means you are keeping law abiding folks out while the crooks and lowlife bastages sneak in there at night and load up their livewells cwm13.gif

No lie, in NJ, when the runs are closed, the fish-crooks just go at night and take as many as they want anyway mad.gif

TimS

You're right TIM. AND it most likely happens up here to. In fact, I would bet on it. It's the sportsman who suffers trying to do the right thing.

I'll bet my bottom dollar there are guys jack-lighting herring in the Carter-Beall property as we speak. mad.gif

The Corps won't care once guys are away from the Canal. Bourne PD? Just time your poaching for the change of shift rolleyes.gif

DJ,

There no poaching going on this year because there simply are NO herring! I mean almost nothing at all. In the 40 years I've been hanging around that run, I've never seen, nor did I ever expect such a collapse.

I was there today twice, and there was nobody livelining, b/c they had no bait.

DJ,

There no poaching going on this year because there simply are NO herring! I mean almost nothing at all. In the 40 years I've been hanging around that run, I've never seen, nor did I ever expect such a collapse.

cwm13.gif Anybody livelining would have some quesions to answer now, wouldn't they?

"Hey! Run's closed. Where didja get them livies?"

No, methinks the poaching going on for herring tonight is for those fish that have already moved out of the canal and up the run. Any caught up there in the woods will end up in private holding areas waiting for use in the upcoming derby. That's my guess.

It was already too late when they closed the run! Good for you guys! You did a good thing but if the fish cops don't follow up, next year could be worse.

waaah.gif < That's a baby Indian with many tears!)

bj/JDBB

Bob_G - I was there yesterday morning and there were two guys livelining from 445am - 630am. I also saw many coomorants filling their bellies with herring.

I've seen very sporadic numbers of herring there also this year but they are usually at the extrames, meaning none or loaded. I've seen this on many occassions.

I wonder why unless everything is running much later than we all expect?? confused.gif

DJ,

I was there recently and saw a pool full of fish just below the ladder.

Poaching herring is just as bad as taking short fish. Cowards poach, real fishermen adapt.

It happens everywhere Tim. When I lived in Boston I saw guys catching hundreds of herring with a cast net one night when I was jogging by the nut shell on the Charles River.

Middleboro closed for the year as of last night.

Severel of the lower cape runs are still producing , but the numbers are down from previous years and the truth be told they most likely will see more activity as the pressure shifts from the runs that were closed.

Man is its own worst enemy and in the case of the river herring, more then we would like to admit.

It is a good thing that the artificial market has produced some realistic products that work perhaps even better than the real thing, once you learn how to use them.

The artifical plastic shad bodies are taking some nice fish in the surrounding waters as we post.

If we get a break from the cold nights, watch out for some hot fishing,as the fish are swimming around the south side beaches and the big river.

Sharing is what we do accept it or not

Angler