Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

Bluefin Trip 8/7/05

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Received a call at 7:15 last night requesting my presence in Chincoteaque, VA to do a little tuna fishing with my boss. Trip worked out well, but a lot of driving. Personnally boated my first BFT, after a good 20 minute fight and almost having the fish take me in the water twice.

bft1.jpg

bft2.jpg

Finished the day drifting over a wreck and pulling about 30 seabass out, but only 10 keepers. Action on all three poles every drift.

Scott

Nice job Scott icon14.gif

You did an even better job settin' me up @ Miguel's in Coronado, the food was FANTASTIC biggrin.gificon14.gif

Allen, Glad you liked Miguels. I think I might have to have dinner there tomorrow, as I'm off to San Diego again smile.gif .

Scotty

Nice catch Scotty.

Where did you go, Parking Lot or Lumpy Bottom ?

Thanks Kil, we were at both spots, but the fish came up around 2pm at Lumpy Bottom. We had two other hits there, but the circle hooks failed to grab. Final spot was a wreck on the way home, and it was loaded with seabass. I'm cooking some up right now.

Scotty

20 minutes - how big was the fish? Were you light tackle fishing? Come on, crank down teh drag and haul the SOB in.

Congrats, my only Tuna so far is a BFT, hopefully will chane that next month.

I used to go down to Chincoteague, VA or Indian River, RE for tuna fishing. The best togging trip I've ever had was out of Chincoteague years ago.

Billy, Isn't it irony that everybody spends lots of time and money to fight a big tuna, but they want to shorten the fighting time once they hook up one. smile.gif

Definitely.

I might go with Capt. John this month. I read that he still catch monster tog now. smile.gif

For some reason, we could find bigger tog south of Delaware Bay in last winter, though we had a few good trips out of Cape May.

Definitely.

I might go with Capt. John this month. I read that he still catch monster tog now. smile.gif

For some reason, we could find bigger tog south of Delaware Bay in last winter, though we had a few good trips out of Cape May.

Kil,

I'm sure you know but if you tog this month be sure to have plenty of calico crabs. If you can't get any by you let me know and I might be able to get some.

South Jersey was disappointing this year. I remember a few years ago when several big fish like Larry's were caught. There were quite a few good size fish on that one charter but no monster slobs.

I forgot what thread I was in after reading Kil's post about tog

Scotty, Congrats on your first tuna clapping.gif . It sure sounded like a good trip despite the long drive.

Tom,

When I chartered the North Star out of Ocean City years ago, big tog was sure thing from late Dec to Jan. It was not by accident Tony got 25 lbs world record tog on that boat. It is really strange we don't see many big tog out of Cape May anymore.