Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael P

Strange things

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

In March of 2002 @ Spuyten Duyvil in upper Manhattan we caught a womens leg w/ a tennis sneaker. The detectives didn't even ask for any of our names,addresses. That was very strange.

I did not see this one, but a buddy told me about it yesterday. A monkfish boat out of Mass just this past week docked with nearly 3 feet of ice shrouding everything on the boat. Frozen in the ice on the rail of the boat was a gull, just perched there and encrusted!

Michael,

3 feet of ice! how the heck did it stay upright?

Musta had one helluva load of monkfish in the hold fer ballastsmile.gif

I hope they got pictures of that Michael, that sounds coolsmile.gif

TimS

I'm hoping to get my hands on some pictures of this. If and when I do I'll post them. It's an exceptionally trustworthy source, and by all accounts the crew was scared to death that they would not make it back to port!

The strangest thing I saw while on the water was very recent. I went out of SRI. While heading out, on a cold and windy night, with wind chills below freezing, I noticed an intense young man, with an underwater camera, a bronco jacket, stinky bunker chunks, and all kinds of metal and rope contraptions, muttering to himself about whiteleggers. I called some guys I know, they came and picked him up and gave him a nice new rubber roomed home. smile.gifwink.gif

I called some guys I know, they came and picked him up and gave him a nice new rubber roomed home. smile.gifwink.gif

Luckily, they left the keys where I could reach themwink.gif

TimS

whales off lavalette, sturgeon @ west bank. nothing that crazy but still kinda strange i guess. sea turtles are always pretty cool to see as are sunfish. they're just plain wacky looking. they look like swimming refridgerators.

September 1989 about five days before hurricane Hugo made land fall.

Had a 6-pack charter out of Oregon Inlet for tuna. The effects of the pending storm were apparent and we only boated two small yellowfin when

the captain said he has something (birds) on his radar several miles away

and decided to check it out. We arrived to acres of red snapper 3-6 lbs

flopping on the surface due to a massive upwelling and temperature change

along the gulf stream. Filled the fish boxes and then some.

It's not all that uncommon for snapper to converge on the surface during or just after rough weather. Seen it before with muttons a few times and heard about it off the coast of Panama.

View PostIt's not all that uncommon for snapper to converge on the surface during or just after rough weather. Seen it before with muttons a few times and heard about it off the coast of Panama.

I was being a bit vague smile.gif These fish weren't converging on the surface....

and acres was more like hundreds of acres....at least 2-3 miles long and several hundred yards wide of solid fish.

Many were dead and we didn't catch them. We gaffed the floppers until the boat couldn't hold anymore. They were brought in and sold...LEGALLY by the regs that were in force at that time. Expect a beatin.gif but it was what was.