Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael P

Strange things

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

So, seeing as all of us down here have spent our fair share of hours on the water instead of just looking at it (not that there is anything wrong with that), what is the strangest thing you have ever seen floating in the water while you were out on a boat?

I have seen some wierd stuff, but I think the strangest thig I ever saw was a dead goat about 10 miles offshore in the spring. I recall we were jigging mackeral in my dad's boat and it was cold, rough, rainy and windy, in other words, a great day to be on the water. But a dead goat???? I told someone about it years later and they had a very valid explanation for it. Apparently ships that sail from ports in South America will take livestock on board to eat while at sea and occasionally one makes it into the drink.

So, whaddya got?

------------------

Capt.Mike@StripersOnline.com

On a nice hot summer day, I came across a big white thing floating in the water. We went over to investigate, and found it was a cooler. Inside was 5 cans of Bud & half a Sub sandwhich - still on some ice!

Must have fallen off someones swim platform or something like that.

I still have the cooler - the contents did not last as long :wink:

johnny

Michael,

Strangest thing I've seen was not long after hurrican Bob racked LI. We were about 20 miles out, between Montauk & Shinnecock when we saw the entire roof of a small house floating around, complete with a metal chimney. I figure it probably came off one of the houses on Dune road in Westhampton that collapsed during the hurricane.

------------------

===MakoMike===

Well, it wasn't on a boat, it was standing on some rocks about 10' off the bank. I was in the Naha River near Ketchakan Alaska. We rented a cabin on the river and went downstream exploring our way to the ocean. We were fishing as we went and I worked my way out on a point on some rocks. The water around the rocks was very deep and full of life, crabs, small fish and shellfish. I was standing with my legs apart on the last two rocks admiring the view and making a few casts when between my legs I heard a very loud whoosh of air and looked down to see a head and two very large eyes looking back up at me. A very large seal had surfaced right between my legs to catch a breath of air. Needless to say I was not used to having a head that large pop up between my legs while fishing. The hair on my neck bristled and I hollered and jumped back to shore without ever remembering touching any of the other rocks I had used to get out there. Whoo was I scared, Took awhile to catch my breath and calm down and move on from that one.

tnbr

Not that it's unusual or anything, but I simply never get tired of seeing giant sea turtles. They are like a living monument out there, so separated from land, generally alone and just plain magnificent. Seeing a big sea turtle surface or just milling around out there and yah just know, everything's coolsmile.gif The water's clean, there's likely bait which means there's likely fish...and even if there's not, it won't seem like a total loss cause yah got to spend some times with an animal not many people ever get to see icon14.gif

No good four cornered grouper stories? wink.gif

TimS

About a mile off GLoucester, Captain Phil makes a hard turn to starboard and motors up to something small swimming on the surface - a 100lb bambi . . . one of the small boats in the area got it onboard but it had died frown.gif

I had never seen it but the oldtimers said it was not that uncommon . . . the whole northshore area is filled with deer (the treehuggers have pretty much ended any hunt) and the deer either get chased into the water by dogs/coyotes etc. or try to swim to any of the local islands . . . this one was far from home!

Not strange, but unusual: my wife and I were in our 26ft boat off Montauk when we saw something that looked like smoke on the horizon. As we motored closer, we realized it was a pod of whales spouting. Got a little closer and realized we could be their water toycwm24.gif and left them. Also saw a small white marlin sunning near the surface off the south shore of LI.

[This message has been edited by PeterO (edited 02-01-2003).]

Last November while fishing close to Brandywine Light in the Delaware Bay, a boat caught on fire. The crew of 6 on board were rescued by another boat. There were lots of boats in the area. When the Coast Guard was approaching the distressed vessel, a different boat started taking on water and sank in less than 15 minutes. Now that was a strange day on the bay.

Hey Mike! I also saw a dead goat floating around out there. If I remember correctly it was more towards the middle of summer, early '80s. It was floating in the middle of a big garbage slick, all bloated and gnarly.

I also lost a cooler out there,not the same day as the goat sighting, and I wish it only had 5 buds and half a sub in it. A 160qt. igloo w/ 2 collared bluefin about 50# apiece, acouple of bonito, and a large bluefish my buddy saved for his mother-in-law.

How'd I manage this? Well, I took 2 of my friends out for a late summer school bluefin/ yellowfin mudhole tuna trip.This was back around 1990 before severe restrictions were in place. We left the dock at 3:45 (me having pulled an all-nighter). Got out, started fishing, but to make space in the cockpit I lashed the cooler to the swim platform with the intention of bringing it back inside before the run home. Something I had done dozens of times before with no problems. We were having a great day fishing,and stayed out longer than we should have with the wind picking up and all. Late summer south west come up hard and are a pain in the arse too get hoe against.

Between the sleep deprivation, wind, and a few more beers, you guessed it, I left the cooler out on the swi platform. Didn't realize the cooler was gone 'till about 4 miles out from the inlet. I looked around but all I could see was white caps in a 4-6' chop. No way could I have found that thing.

Man, what a kick in the nuts.

I was fishing with my nephew last summer about a mile or off the hook. We were running along and he looks at me with a stone face and says he just saw a hand sticking out of the water. I ask him where it was and we turn around in a somewhat snotty chop to follow our wake bubbles back to the spot where he saw it.

We motored along slowly and then I spotted it cwm31.gif , just ahead about 100 feet away, it was a human hand protruding up from the water but no head or torso, so I'm thinking ugghh a dead body is under that hand. As I get closer I can plainly see that it is a rubber glove. So I smacked the kid on the back of the head and went back to fishing.

20 sealed bottles of "Opium" perfume tumbling in the wash at Lincoln Ave,Long Beach. Me and my buddy both bought new surfboards with the proceeds smile.gif

gad

...No good four cornered grouper stories? wink.gif

TimS

Ummmm, no comment...I did catch my largest mahi under one.biggrin.gif

The coolest thing I ever saw was a monster hammerhead run down an eagle ray in about 10 feet of water. It took the shark well over 10 minutes, but he finally got his meal. I never thought that an 800 pound shark could be so agile.

One night while crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini, a big arse owl landed on the pulpit and stayed with us until we got to Bimini, then happily flew away.