Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Allen

Doormats!

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Alright so here's a question for all of you bottom dweller lovers:

Anybody here catch a TRUE doormat - i.e. a fluke over 10#?

If not, whats your LARGEST fluke - weight and inches?

Me? Well lets just say I have a lot of fish between 5-6.5# - never gotten that big un' though icon15.gif

------------------

-------------------------

SOL #787

Like you, I have caught numerous fish in the 5-7 pound range. I never weighed my largest fluke, which I caught on the Capt. Willie (now the Lazy Bones) out in Montauk, but reasonable estimates were about 8-9 pounds. I like to think that it was 9 pounds. wink.gifAlmost all of the true monsters that I have seen caught came up while sea bass fishing on the South Shore when I was a kid. The biggest that I actually saw caught was a 14 1/2 pound beast caught on the Capt. Joseph out of Captree...

As the current reigning BFF Fluke Kingrolleyes.gif, I feel I must assist in establishing a benchmark. smile.gif My largest fluke to date weighed in at 8lb10oz, a veritable denizen of the deep. But there is a bigger one coming santa.gif.

(ok, maybe veriable's a bit much.)

Jack

Never caught a true doormat...well, not yet.

My heaviest fluke to date is 6lb 7oz. I've hooked and lost a few that felt extremely better than that and even had one up to the surface that was estimated to be 9-10 lbs...lets just say one of my friends is banned from ever trying to net any of my fish anymorewink.gif

Let's hear about those "barndoors" Alicon14.gif

Don't remember the exact weight as it was somewhere around thirty years ago, but it was over 11 lbs on the scale at Mike's Tackle Shop.

I was on the old 45 foot PILOT II out of Sheepshead Bay with Harry Philips at the helm. It was a beautiful day in the late summer and we were blue and bonito fishing off the Atlantic Highlands. I remember that I had a small bonito hook tied directly to my 20 pound line with a single spearing as bait. We were chumming with bunker and tossing spearing over by the handful and I was having a ball catching bonito. We must have drifted over a fairly high piece cause this doormat chomped the spearing intended for a bonito. No one had a clue as to what it was till we got an eyeball on it. Beautiful fish.

Spigola

Spigola thats a bizarre means of catching a mini-barndoor biggrin.gif

I have seen some big fluke come up while chunking for bluefish at areas like the Mud Buoy, 17, and the Manasquan Ridge - on slow days when some people that really didn't know what they were doing let the baits sink and then they had a nice bite! cwm13.gif

------------------

-------------------------

SOL #787

Funniest thing about my big fish, 2 of the 4 of my biggest came from the Manasquan River.. My biggest ever, like 6 1/4 or 1/2 # came from the river in 1988, and now my second biggest, caught the other day came from there cwm13.gif My other 2 came from the ocean fishing structure..

The Manasquan is not known for bigger fish - its known for its quantity of postage stamp sized fluke.. Weird stuff biggrin.gif