Fish-Off Results!! Old Guys win!!

Rate this topic

Mike

But New Guys Rule! What a great crew of fishermen -- it was an honor to get together and fish with you. The trip was well planned, well run and well fed! I can't believe you guys eat like that all the time. clapping.gif

Now for the fishing. We started off with a flurry of fish up to 5 lbs that made you feel like we'd limit the boat by 10 or 11 am. Then it just tapered off. It got pretty tough at times picking a keeper here and there throughout the day. Several drops gave up only one, two or no keepers. That's fishing! The thing that didn't drop off was the great vibe on the boat. Everyone worked together -- it was the kind of trip where tangles were just tangles, not hassles and mugging was cordial and only done when space allowed. I really enjoyed the trip and would be grateful for a future invitation.

Props to the Old Guys for eeking out a victory that could be summed up as Dubs' 10.9 lb pool winning fish. The final talley was 99 lbs for New Guys and 111 lbs for Old Guys. New Guys had 2 no-shows but hung tough while Old Guys had a couple fellows box only one fish each. Come to think of it, those two fish were also about 9 lbs together. You can see this was a very very close contest won by the slimmest of margins!

Finally, mucho props to Kil for stepping up for the New team and cutting some on the Old team's. We asked for one fish for a picture but Kil hung in there and cut quite a few fish. What a great sport!!

Thanks again to everyone -- GREAT TRIP!!

[ 11-20-2005, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

Regardless of the outcome, it was a spectacular day on the water with some great people. I had a blast. Thank you for putting it together and giving me the opportunity to meet y'all.

And Kil, if you could post or pm me some info on Woojeon, I'd love to have dinner and thank Choi personally for the great food!

Our fearless leader at 6am

IMG_0178.JPG

Crab parade. These particular crabs were from Hungry Jack, who sorted and sized them...lol There were many, many more crabs on the boat. Whites, reds, blues, greens, calicos, many, many, many.

I saw that Blackfish Joe gave the tog population a tremendous beating using a porgy rig and green nuggets. Light seemed to be the way to go. I even noticed Striper Sniper downgrading from snafu to what looked like a single #1 Gami.

IMG_0182_edited.JPG

I wish that I had a pic of raekwon's marine biology lab. 2 livewells, and he was measuring tog in centimeters (keeper was 35.5cm I believe). Clipboard, tags (courtesy of TimS), all he needed was a necktie.

Jack brought some kind of industrial, electronic scale capable of weighing tog 150# at a shot. I blame that for the picky fishing....lol.

Other weirdness was the occasional 10-20# striper slowly swimming under the boat.

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

It was a nice day. Very, very mellow. Zero drama, the crabs, the measuring of fish, the pool, all non-issues. Boat fit the crowd very well. The fish never really turned on, we had conditions that resulted in the boat sliding around even with 2 anchors, but I understand that our catching was above average for the partyboats between LBI and NY. It was a close contest. BrianZ and Dubs definitely put the old guys over.

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

News members bow to the old members. Anyway a great day on the water even with the slow fishing. Beautiful weather, great bunch of guys, and excellent food. Thanks to everyone for another great trip. thank you Kil for giving your charter for this trip.

What do we do next year when we are all old members? confused.gif

That was one great charter. Kudos to everyone who showed. It was funny getting on the boat with so many new faces, and getting to know mostly all of them by the end of the day. Looking forward to the next time biggrin.gif , by then I should be able to do better than my 1 keeper frown.gif (but I did throw back a handful of shorts).

Scotty

Riff Raff

Triet said it best - there was no drama - it was about as perfect a charter as you could ever hope for icon14.gif Big kudos to Kil for handling the bulk of the arrangements - it was great to meet you - what a wonderful guy he is, unassuming, generous and a real pleasure to talk to...I'd go on a charter with you anywhere icon14.gif

And to bassaholic for handling the weighing and documenting of the landings and supplying a bunch of crab baits icon14.gif

It was truly a pleasure to fish with this crew, new members and old members, it was one of the most enjoyable charters I've ever had the pleasure to fish - a big thank you to everyone who was involved!

My only regret was not spending some time in the back of the boat with the new members...we drove to Indian River Inlet on Friday, fished and socialized there all night then drove straight to the Searcher to tog all day - I had to keep reminding myself that I was fishing cwm12.gif

It was nice to meet the new guys that I did meet, all wonderful folks - I did wanna meet that Hungry Jack guy though - a togger after my own heart it seems smile.gif

Can't wait till next time!

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

The day went smoothly and everyone had a good time. It was good to meet more people from the board. I always enjoy Kil's charters because they are first rate. Choi's food was excellent, as always. Sam also came through with some Brooklyn Lager biggrin.gif

Congrats to team old members on their victory. The final tally was 111.9 lbs for team old members and 99.7 lbs for team new members.

Also, its good to hear that Larry was OK because I would never expect him to miss a tog trip.

A big thanks to HungryJack for the leftover crabs, the calicos got bit real good on my Cape May trip on Sunday.

Fishing is a lot like yoga, except you get to kill something.