Okay, bought the lep stick... now what?

Rate this topic

MightyMouse

As a Christmas present, and a way for myself and pops to spend a bit more time together, I just ordered two of BPS "lep stick" Musky rods...

... now the question is, how do I properly gear him up (simplicity is better) and myself? Personally, I've been eyeballing the Newell P229 reel, maybe for even double duty surf boat use... but my dad is going to need something a bit more user friendly... (although I have to admit, another member a while ago suggested a relatively cheap shimano conventional that's served him ridiculously well... my only dislike is that I wouldn't readily be able to use it in the suds, if desired). So I'm thinking something with a level wind for pops... he's not going to be pulling any two-trip weekends anytime soon, and his introduction to braid will come with some downloaded knot tying guides if he decides to venture off on some party boats solo...

sooooooo... any ideas?

If anyone may require dialysis or a kidney transplant, feel free to contact me via this site. I'll be happy to help you through whatever questions you have! :wave:

Lube up the grips with clam slime. Dip your hands in teh clam bucket. Make a cast and see how far it flies overboard.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Dubs caught the 10.9# pool fish on what looked like an Abu 6500.

Triet, that's my first choice in toggin' reels smile.gif Two falls ago I landed a bunch of tog over 10# up to 13 1/2# - all were landed on an Abu 6500 smile.gif

The little Avet I find a bit too fast, not enough low end to crank when yah need to crank. I do use mine for toggin' once in a while, but always end up putting on a 6500 in the long run. But as far as casting goes, you will not - I promise - find a reel that cast further than that little Avet icon25.gif

I'm considering trying a small Newell one of these days, just to see if I'm missing something using the 6500s smile.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Abu's are good reels for bass, fluke, etc but I just don't trust them for hardcore toggin when you beat on your gear all winter. I'd prefer a reel with a low gear ratio, a good drag, and a big handle. My top two reels for toggin are the Newell 220 and Saltiga 20. In the sleeper category is my Shimano TLD Star 15/20 but I wish it had a gear ratio under 5:1. The sidewinder is the ultimate bulletproof tog reel but takes practice. I used it for the first time this season on Saturday and wasn't paying attention and knocked the line behind the spool while reeling and made a huge mess. I respooled and fished it all day Sunday with no problems.

I caught a 20# kingfish on a 6500 with stock drag and I soon found out why everyone switches to smoothies redface.gif . I don't want to possibly risk losing a tog of a lifetime because of the reel. JMHO.

Fishing is a lot like yoga, except you get to kill something.

I caught a 14lber on a stock 6500 last year, it was scary. God bless you, Tim. rolleyes.gif

smile.gif Mine aren't stock, they all got smooothie washers, they all got oversized or power handles...and some even have 3.8:1 winch gears in them smile.gif

Then again, I still can't find a better tog stick than my honey Lami rods I love so much redface.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

...But as far as casting goes, you will not - I promise - find a reel that cast further than that little Avet icon25.gif

With braid or mono? I can't seem to control the SX or MX, however I do a bit better when casting mono. Is it magged or stock? You're throwing them snakes with it, aren't you...