Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vinny

Flounder Patrick Wrap Up

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

The big surprise of the day, TimS and Dubs showed. I won my money for the weekend when they declined to play poker. Good thing too, 'cause the guys gave me a schooling during the two nights of cards surrounding the flounder Patrick.

Friday night poker included Bor, Sunny, me and a few others for a nice friendly game. One of the mates on the Sea Hunter showed, and was kind enough to teach us a new game of poker --- which put a hurting on me the following night.

Saturday, the SOL contingent on the Sea Hunter included (and please don't take offense if I missed ya --- its late) Squidlips, Steve from Mass, Allen, Suntzu, Bor, bobp, John D (who shall now be known as Jeff), TimS and Dubs. Team Suntzu (Sunny and Bor) ran away with the SOL pool for the most fish. I believe Sunny's solo tally of 12 fish tied with the next team (team Albatross --- but we were handicapped to counteract my bad mojo, and we had the only team with three people, Squidlips, Laura and me. Squidly made a nice contribution of 2 flounder to team Albatross when he followed the lead of Dubs, TimS, and everyone else fishing on my side of the boat and moved away from one of Sunny's bad luck chumpots). Bor's 5 fish put them well over the top.

Allen ran into some bad mojo early, when a handsome devil mistakenly thought Allen's rod was sunny's and picked it up before the boat left the marina. Allen made a nice recovery during the last hour after befriending the son of someone that had a unique chumming method, pickin' five fish up before the bell.

After a slow start, John D also made a nice recovery, pickin' up an @ three pound pool fish in the final hour or so, and at least another couple of nice fish to boot.

I was fortunate, having the entire side of the boat to fish by my lonesome after the first 20 minutes of the trip.

Never really got to see TimS' high tech gear in action, as the chop and tide were a little too much to get any underwater footage.

John D showed up for Saturday night poker, and showed us all several games that caused us to down advil like they was pez.

Last we heard, JPL was somewhere outside of Arkansas, looking for exit 135 on the Parkway. At least he knew where his car was (this time).

Lots of fish on the Sea Hunter in less than idylic conditions. There were probably 20 or so fares, and 75 to 80 fish.

Steve from Mass was last seen at Home Depot, buying out its entire stock of pink spray paint.

All in all, another productive day on the Sea Hunter. Nice meeting/seeing all of you guys ('cept for JPL, who is probably night fishin' for blue cats right about now).

Vinny, you won't believe this, but that kids name was VINCENT!!! biggrin.gif

We're doing a repeat today, at least me Sunny, and Bor, and supposedly JPL..

We'll see, the wx is improving..

BTW, it was great putting faces to all of those names on the site.. Great meeting you guys!

Had a great time on Sat. I had never been on that boat before, but I will say it is a great boat and crew--in less than ideal conditions they continually made adjustments to help put fish in the boat. Although for awhile there even the crabs and skates were avoiding my offerings. Allen--that kid was last seen running around with a bald spot on his head--hope you ditched the scissors.... wink.gif

As for cards, what can I say? (Actually, I'm probably better off by saying little...) Had a few laughs and learned some new games myself--a good time with good company. PEZ IS GOOD.

Jeff D.

[This message has been edited by John D (edited 04-15-2002).]

Hi all

Had a great time meeting and fishing with you at the Patrick. Was hoping to make it out today but had too much to do. With luck I'll come down with some bizarre illness later this week.wink.gif

I ended up with two flounder, two skates and a sundial, all taken on Vinny's side of the boat.smile.gif (The kid had good juju)

Thanks to teammate Allen who split the catch with me.

Maybe after the next Patrick I'll be able to hang out afterwards and you swell guys can teach me how to play cards. cwm31.gif

I'm gonna run out to Home Depot now...

...If I don't make it out this week, I'll be at the cleanup.

Hey, I'm pretty sure I was low hook on the boat and I demand recognition as suchicon25.gif

Did anyone catch less than 1 flounder?cwm13.gif Come on, don't be shy - revel in your lack of party boat flounder prowesswink.gif

Three valuable lessons learned -

1. Never fish against someone wearing clothing with the vessels name/ad on iticon25.gif

2. Vinny is much taller than the photo that's been circulating herewink.gif

3. Suntzu is a sneaky bastage that should not be trusted - got mussels?wink.gif

I had a very good time and it was nice to meet up with you guys....yes, even you Sunnywink.gif

TimS

I was a pleasure meeting everyone. I pretty freakin tired now after poker/trout fishing/the patrick. more poker, more fishing. It feel vindicated on two fronts:

1) demonstrating to JohnD that the flounder season did not end in February

2) my carrying on about Vinny being an albatross, first met with incredulity, has been proven through clinical trial. He cleared a side of the boat, cursed Allen for hours. Poor Allen had to stand there watching flounder swing the the right and left of him all afternoon. He owes squidlips big time for bringing the kid back to the stern and taking off the hex.

Oh yeah, any of you guys taking pictures of me better destroy that film, don't make me send in the black helicopterssmile.gif

[This message has been edited by suntzu (edited 04-15-2002).]

Anyone have a photo of suntzu's back?

The mental picture I have is of him doing the stealth move with that little yellow cooler he had with him. cwm13.gif

I was told today that fresh steamer clams work too. devil.gif

Yes, we were all quite fortunate to have that cold spell in late March which delayed the few remaining flounder at Romer just long enough for us to have caught them this past sat wink.gif

I know that you know that flounder season just is not what it used to be anymore frown.gif

John D

Hey, guys, just got back in late yesterday afternoon.....

Was good meeting all of you...and Vinny, I only abandoned your side of the boat for a couple minutes.....in fact the three I got was when I was standing right next to ya....(but I WAS using Sunny's sinker wink.gif)

bobp....I should have gone with you afterwards...or at least gone and played cards....that way I would have avoided having the ENTIRE Dover Township Police Department interrogating me about my non-functional tail light on Route 37....at least I passed the sobriety test and got away with ONLY a $44 ticket....cwm23.gif. Then I got back to the motel room and my driver side window wouldn't roll up. I pulled it up about halfway by hand, and it got jammed. When I tried to move it more, it shattered. Good thing it was warm out, or it would've been a frigid ride home yesterday. (Gee, Vinny, maybe you DO have bad MOJO wink.gif)

Sunny - haven't developed the film yet....but all things can be had....at a cost.....wink.gif

Twas a blast guys, great to meet everyone, and hope to be able to do it again sometime. smile.gif

<bump> Good read Billy, thank you smile.gif

BTW, all the old Conger Eel Forum threads were moved to this forum months ago...but they aren't in the search index yet, looks like I gotta run through the index process one night when everybuddy is sleeping redface.gif Takes like 2 hours and the forums are shut down while it's running.

TimS