Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

How important is color to you??

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

On the heels of a recent thread about using black during the day, I'd like to know how much of a priority color is to you? To me it's not even in the top five. Time of day, tide, size, shape, action and speed of retrieve all come before color (for me personally). I will stop fishing after daybreak most summer days, but would never stop because I left my yellow bomber in the truck? What do you think?

Same here. Overall, color has a low priority in my fishing scenario, though it does come into play at certain times. And there are specific colors I like to use in each situation, but it wouldnt keep me from fishing if I didnt have that particular one.

I think the whole blending and shading, sparkles etc. has little consequence. And Im not sold on bass hitting the eyes thing, either redface.gif

I'm a pretty firm believer in color. Whether it's for contrast, believability, confidence or visibility...I don't know. But I'm a very methodical fisherman when there's fish around - I'll change things even when what I'm doing is working - just to gather intel about what else would/wouldn't work in those same conditions.

But I'm also a big believer in basics - black, white, yellow, yellow/black, yellow/white, olive/white, etc. And a very big believer in a highly contrasting scale pattern - whether it be a black plug with a white or silver scale pattern...or a dark plug with a fair amount of larger, silver glitter scattered around from top to the sides - that's why I've had Gibbs make all our custom colored plugs - even black/purple - with glitter smile.gif In my opinion, it's why they work better than flat black/flat purple for plugs that swim smile.gif

One thing I am not is a believer in the necessity for plugs to be ultra realistic or match the hatch. We assign our own version of realism to a plug and I don't think it comes close to a fish's version of realism. It might look like a bunker to us, but a bass isn't going to judge it based on the same characteristics that we do smile.gif

TimS

On a scale of 1 - 5 I've seen it all over the scale.

I let the fish tell me.

The only way you can say for sure is to eliminate all the other variables. Therefore to make an accurate judgement you'd have to be fishing the same lure the same way at the same time in the same conditions. Do that and I think you'll find it very often makes a difference to one degree or another.

[ 02-18-2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Plug ]

Color selection is high on my list. I too am a believer in basic colors yellow, balck, white, olive and silver. I like darker colors in lower light conditions and brighter colors in lighter conditions I also like very contrasting scale patterns. School bus patterns are often a starting point when there is some source of light either natural or street light especially if it's not that bright. Bright moon lit nights get first try from chrome over black or Smokey Joe color. Day time gets whites or silvers with color. The one thing I still question is why do white bucktail work so well at night while white plugs are looked down on. Maybe this year I'll be exprimenting with white at night. For fresh water bassin I always liked a white double buzzer on bright nights maybe a big white swimmer at night deserves some play.

Therefore to make an accurate judgement you'd have to be fishing the same lure the same way at the same time in the same conditions. Do that and I think you'll find it very often makes a difference to one degree or another.

icon14.gif That's exactly what I do when I've experimented in the past smile.gif They're eating a black bomber every 3rd cast..try a yellow/white...they eat that every 5th cast. Try a black/clear...they eat that every other cast. Etc, etc...only problem, we no longer have the luxury around here of having schools of bass to experiment on. Catching 3 or 4 bass in a night of plugging our beaches/rocks is an accomplishment in itself...forget about trying to experiment with colors smile.gif

One thing that is true - the more bass in a given spot feeding hard, the less important color becomes...hell, the less important everything becomes smile.gif

TimS

I too stick with the basic colors, white, yellow, blue, black, olive. I have on occasion found that after catching a bass or two that a color change was necessary to catch another fish. This past fall fishing on a dark night I caught 2 or 3 fish on a black darter then nothing. Fished for about 1/2 hour, then changed to a yellow darter, BAM 2 or 3 more fish, then nothing for about 20 min. switched to a Shad Rap, BAM another fish. So yes I feel color is important, but on the other hand maybe they were looking for something different. Had I switched to a black needle instead of a yellow darter on that first change I still might have caught fish, or maybe not. I think that color is one of the things that Bass key in on.

JMO

Tony

Everytime I convince myself color doesn't matter I will have a night where it does and everytime I convice myself color does matter I'll have a bunch of nights where it doesn't. I think switching profiles or to a plug with a different action is more important than putting a black bomber instead of a black / purple.

One thing that is true - the more bass in a given spot feeding hard, the less important color becomes...hell, the less important everything becomes smile.gif

TimS

I agree, and therefor, If your hook-ups change from every 3rd cast to every 5th, 6th or even 10th cast, then I can't see how color is the issue. You are still catching a dozen or more fish per hour regardless of color. I honestly feel that angler confidence plays the biggest role in color selection. Simply, you will leave your hi-confidence color on longer during slow periods which results in more hook ups on that color.

Remember the beginning of the yellow bomber explosion in the 80's? I put all of my hellcats, smokey joe redfins and tinsquids away and drowned that bomber constantly.

Of course I caught more fish on it because it was in the water more often. If I didn't have hit in five minutes on something else, then I'd switch back to yellow. It was silly, I remember going into Normandy Tackle(Ernie w's place) and if you were "in" you got to go in his tiny back room and pick out your bomber. But, you had to promise not to tell anyone where you got it from because he had turned away so many others. I can hear the fish laughing at the silly humans....

I think switching profiles or to a plug with a different action is more important than putting a black bomber instead of a black / purple.

For sure. Here's my "check-off"

Depth - since I plug deep water finding where the fish are in the water column comes first. Probably not such a priority for beach casters.

Action - Dart? Slow wobble? Fast wobble? Slide?

Profile/size

Color

That's pretty much in order of importance but it's all important.