Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

Ever seen this before ?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was River fishing for stripers today and saw a guy in a boat catch a schoolie and then proceed to attach a length of mono with a balloon on the end of it to the fish. He then let the fish swim away towing the balloon. I presume this is some sort of very primitive fish finder and a way to know where the schools of fish are. I thought it was cruel, and probably not legal. anyone else know of this "technique". Dave

I remember seeing this somewhere else years ago, maybe in a magazine. Seems it is a very good way of locating schools of fish. Supposedly it doesn't hurt the fish but I personally find that hard to believe. I would think that towing around a ballon would exhaust the fish making it easy prey for the next step up the food ladder.

I did that 20 years ago as a kid trying to troubleshoot my lack of electronics in a lake full of calico basssmile.gif I put a snap through the dorsal of a calico and attached a bobber and 4ft of mono - needless to say, the lil bastage swam outta casting range so I never knew if he was alone or with the school I was trying to followcwm13.gif

But to do it with stripers? It is illegal - they are supposed to be released unharmed - by tethering a ballon to the fish, it's not really released and it's certainly not unharmed dragging a balloon around. Bastage.

TimS

A taste of the old BB gun will instanly correct things .. one shot for the ballon to free mr. striper the second for Mr. Meatheads arse...

I am too old to patienetly explain things too imbesiles any longer...

Its amazing how they instanly see things your way after getting shot with a BB gun biggrin.gif

Rich, I was wondering if this was the guys way to cull a larger keeper, catch a bigger fish later and let the one under the balloon go? I wasn't close enough to tell the size of the fish. You can see just about anything in the valley.. D

Rich, I was wondering if this was the guys way to cull a larger keeper, catch a bigger fish later and let the one under the balloon go? I wasn't close enough to tell the size of the fish. You can see just about anything in the valley.. D

That's what's called "high-grading"---it's also illegal in a lot of places (not sure about CT, tho).

As a kid I did this while fishing for yellow perch. The fish swam right back to the school and we followed them the whole day. We snagged the balloon at the end of the day and added the fish to our catch. Only time I ever did it and over 40 years ago.

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't