Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Allen

Flounder...

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Encouraging things in the river of sharks smile.gif Unfortunately, they are only 4-5" but the place is paved with them. They are the bazillions of babies I saw in there over the summer...they went from an inch and a half to nearly 5" since September - I'm guessing they'll be filletable by next spring...maybe next fall if they continue to grow at this rate icon25.gif

Allen, don't listen to the naysayers, who says yah gotta catch a bunch to have a good time trying smile.gif Feels like a flounder day out there today icon14.gif

TimS

Everything eats 'em...fluke, seabass, sea robbers, bass, blues, weaks...you name it, everything was coughing them up last fall.

The good news is, the bazillions that made it are now nearly 5" long - that shortens the list of potential predators by quite a bit icon14.gif

Now if someone could get the 5 fyke nets outta Shark River before these flounder are big enough to get stuck, there might be hope for flounder fishing in this tiny river again. But as long as those nets are in there, along every single channel, they don't stand a chance frown.gif

TimS

They are around. But they ain't going to eat until the tempreture gets into at least the low 40's, and aren't going to eat with any vigor till the temps approach 50

They are around. But they ain't going to eat until the tempreture gets into at least the low 40's, and aren't going to eat with any vigor till the temps approach 50

That's the wonderful thing about the river of sharks...the ocean is currently at about 38 degrees...which means so is the river on each incoming tide smile.gif The Raritan is probably still a block of ice redface.gif

TimS

The greta white river on a sunny day at the bottom of the outgoing is probably about 10 degrees warmer than the ocean in the spring. Very shallow in the back with dark mud bottom warms it quickley, similiar to the never sink place to the north. Its why in the early spring you can get a shot at flundies on sunny days in certain spots on certain tides. I preferthe times, as most do, when they are all up on out of the mud feeding voraciously as the fatten up after a long winter and prepare for the swim to the continental shelf. Its at those times that you can drop a load of chum and bring a few hundred of the little fellas to you.

True...true..I guess my point is, if the ocean goes up 2 degrees, the river of sharks is gonna be 40 - and it'll probably do that before the great white north even thaws out smile.gif

Yes, the northern backbays will warm to 50 long before the river of sharks...but that'll be long after buckets of flat ones come from here smile.gif

TimS

I wish there were buckets of flat ones left there frown.gif Those fyke nets kill everything, have for the last few years. I suspect that flatties return each year to the local of their birth, fewer and fewer returning to the river of sharks..

now if we can only get rid of the midnight draggers that work moonless nights out of belford on romer shoal, things would be dandy.

Unofficially, what power does a municipality have over waters contained within? Like Monmouth County or Belmar? Can they implement special rules for small bodies of water contained within their boundaries?

In other words, the state could care less if every flounder was removed from Shark River, but there's 3 or 4 bait shops they suffer every spring and fall when the flounder aren't there. Could local legislation remove the fyke nets - or would it have to be a state thing?

TimS

Unofficially, and off the cuff, I think it would run afoul of the public trust doctrine. My gut is that it would be a good case for the fyke net owners to challenge if you ever got that type of ordinance passed by a municipality. In NJ the lands below the mean high tide are held in trust by the state. The local governments don't have much say.... Compare it to the cases saying that Belmar can't charge more for summertime beach access for out of towners. Their beaches, but the state says, we make the rules regarding access to public trust lands.