Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eddieg710

Surf Fishing Etiquette - Proper Distance

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What is the proper distance that you should AWAY from someone while surfcasting? I started fishing @ 3:30 Sunday morning. There wasn't a sole for miles. At 6:00a, the first sign of life. Unfortunately, the guy camps 30 feet close to me on the left. Not 'away from me', 'close to me'. 6:05 here comes the next guy, not as bad, 50 feet to my right. I FULLY understand that everyone entitled to fish wherever they want but come-on! The beach was empty. Talk about fishing pressure!!!

I don't like it when people get within a cast's length. Anything closer seems like poor etiquette, unless you're fishing in a rotation, where the rules are understood, or with friends, where you know enough to time your casts properly. The worst is when some idiot mugs you, and then plays dumb, as if they don't know exactly what they're doing - a few years ago, some guy pulled up directly across from me, on a trout stream that couldn't have been more than 30 feet across, and started casting directly into my drift. He then had the balls to act like he didn't know what he was doing.

Even if you've never fished before, you should have enough of a sense of courtesy to know not to fish within a cast length.

I don't care if they're three feet away if they know how to cast without crossing my line, and have the courtesy to reel in when I got a fish on.

I got mugged on my lunch break today..Mutt and Jeff within 30 feet on either side. All for 3 pound bluefish..yippee. I was swimming a danny real slow trying to pick off a bass, these two wanted blues on metal.

I don't care if they're three feet away if they know how to cast without crossing my line, and have the courtesy to reel in when I got a fish on.

What Zim said icon14.gif

What Zim said icon14.gif

Yup. Good fishermen can fish a lot closer together if they know how to cast in some kind of a rotation. I've fished with a lot of guys standing close enough to have a conversation over the sound of the waves. No problem. You work with me and I'll work with you. If I'm plugging or jigging, I'd rather have a guy fishing the same way standing under my armpit than a guy fishing bait on a sinker 100' away downcurrent.

That being said--I always ask first before I move in so close to a guy that he'll expect me to buy him dinner biggrin.gif

can.............someone............resize......... ...........the .............picture..............to............fi t..............on....................the.......... .......darn............................. .................................................. ..............page................................ ........................................ ...........thank you

Im the seagull ( in the picture ) when it comes to crowds . I dont mind people fishing close as long as they have a clue and stay out of my back pocket . I have many times fished tight with friends that fish well and run from other friends that dont fish so well .

Poppy- please tell me that's a joke.... but I know it isn't. How the heck does anybody stay clear of anybody else? what good is that?

No matter what you do or what you say it isn't gonna stop Marty the Mugger from being a complete arse and fish right on top of you. It even isn't just the newbies that do it, its some of the folks that are supposed to know what its all about. They just don't care about you.

Several weeks ago I had been fishing a jetty for about 20 minutes, all by myself, when I see this guy walking out, OK no problem plenty of room for two I thought

He proceeds right to the rock I'm standing on and stands right next to me on it. OK you really wanna stand here, I move to another rock about 10 feet away.

He comes right over and stands right next to me again. Now I'm annoyed and I ask him if he has some sort of problem he lets me know that he will fish anywhere he wants and that this is his spot and he's been fishing it for 25 years and that I have no right fishing in his spot.

Up to that point I had been a real gentleman but the gloves came off and I told him what he should go do with himself and his spot. He starts screaming at the top of his lungs about all the guys he knows and fish's with and they all respect his spot and that I should know better.

Rather than pushing it any further as he was starting to act in a very belligerent manner. I told him he could have his spot and that I hoped that the only thing he hooked that night was his own arse and I walked away.

Poppy,

No one is going to uncork a nice OTG or Pendulum cast standing that close????? Looks like most of the people have their lines in the water (bait), and are having a chat.

I like my space and need more of it when casting a conventional, because there is no overhead snap cast. I try to steer clear of clusters for that reason.

Steve smile.gif

8Ball,

Your to nice of a guy. I would have had to strongly suggest he finds another rock, or face the consequences. The only rock that belongs to anyone is the one that sits ontop of a grave, and at that point it doesn't matter.

Respect begets respect.

Steve

Sorry for the w-i-d-e photo, but I am not the originator, I think Bait Waister (Bernie M.) took the photo...its been posted here on SOL before...maybe TimS could fiddle w/ it...

Surprising how well it works at Cape Hatteras most times... What you don't see in that photo is the rotation--right to left--that takes place most of the time...its called the "Conga Line"...its 8nBait fishing...some days the current is not strong enough for the rotation, so the fishers are stationary...

Poppy