Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben Lippen

Kielbas on the grill

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Just got a nice surprise present of a big honkin kielbas straight from Newark (or, as they say, Nork wink.gif )

Anyway, I dont do kraut, and didnt see any recipes that thrilled me in my search of the forum.

I'd like to throw it on the grill tomorrow night after work. Anyone got any ideas for a good grilled kielbas?

Yeah, ya just throw them on the grill..... tongue.gifwink.gif

Seriously.....aside from kraut, which would be a must for me......I'm thinking hard here, cause without kraut, it's tough....... eek.gif

Perhaps onions and peppers, as in sausage.....put it on a good hard roll or sub roll.....

Good mustard, horseradish.....maybe some potatoes...?

People use 'basy up here when they make steamer clams, but I think that's a waste of good keilbasy....

I usually have baked beans with keilbasy as well..........

John,

Growing' up in NJ with a central European background our kielbasi was always boiled with cabbage and root veggies. It's only after I moved to NE that I discovered the joys of it grilled. Now, that's the only way I eat it.

While it's ok in a roll with peppers and onions I like it best nekkid on a plate with a real good German or Polish mustard, German spud salad, grilled beets (if fresh boil 'em first till tender though the jarred pickled ones will do in a pinch), some grilled pierogies with a bit of EVOO, a nice rye bread with unsalted butter and Black Forest cake for dessert. Don't forget the Pilsner Urequell.

Grilled fennel is a good foil as well.

I think all you guys covered the bases. The horseradish(the hotter the better) and the mustard says it all. I do mine boiled or on the grill and i love both. The only other suggestion to me is to have a nice helping of applesauce next to it. Man, this completes the 'basa meal.

fresh kielbasa on the grill sounds good.....i usually steam them first so you don't have to cook the heck out of them and run the risk of burning them on the outside.....the kosher kraut in bags is much better than the stuff in the can if that is the issue...worth trying if the canned stuff is why you don't like it...

deli mustard

i used to know a woman of Lithuanian extraction....easter time would be fresh kielbasa with kraut and apples baked in the oven...brown the kielbasa and put it in a rosting pan.....nestle in the rest of the stuff and bake till done....pretty good in my book..i do the same with country style spare ribs but add tomato sauce and sometimes leave out the apples.....the acid in the kraut tenderizes the meat and takes out the gaminess (as in pig flavor) that this cut sometimes has

fresh kielbasa on the grill sounds good.....i usually steam them first so you don't have to cook the heck out of them and run the risk of burning them on the outside.....

nothing says you can't butterfly em if the diameter is really large.

mustard and horse radish make it for me too.

pierogies icon14.gif , could boil cabbage quartered and then smother the quarter with butter, salt, and pepper. biggrin.gif real German potatoe salad made with vinegar and a little bacon - yeah! And if you've seen my other posts ... east european cabbage cole slaw made with vinegar and a little suger.

shoot, my mouth's watering again. HappyWave.gif

HJ - parboil the pierogies till just about done, doesn't matter the filling though the sweeter ones may be "difficult" (my favorite is potato and cheese). After you remove them from the water drop them in a bowl with melted butter. When you're about 3 jor 4 minutes from serving throw them on the grill. Awesome!

Dogboy - remember that real "basi" is a combination of both pork and beef and sometimes veal, really depends on where the butcher came from (European countries have small grazing areas so pork and veal are more apparent). If yer gonna steam the freshies then I trust you steam in beer and not just plain old water!

While it sounds totally off the wall, kielbasi kabobs with pineapple, mini spuds (partially steamed), baby carrots, cabbage chunks, all slathered in honey mustard is outregeaous (sp).

take the kielbasa and cut in part way through length wise. fill the cut with horseradish. Take stripes of bacon and wrap the kielbasa up with the bacon. This should hold the horseradish in. Use toothpicks to hold the bacon in place. Place on the grill at low temps until cooked the way you like. Me i prefer a nice light char.

The bacon keeps the lielbasa from dryying out while adding a great flavor.

Just remember low heat as the bacon fat will cause lots of flareups

looked at this thread and i now know what i'm having for dinner! TY very much. kielbasa, kraut, and pierogies and i will take paul's advice on grilling dem pierogies! icon14.gificon14.gif