Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob C.

PROFESSIONAL STRIPE BASS SURF ANGLERS ASSOCIATION?

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Well Mr. Celico I've a few questions for you. First off what organizaton do you represent? If in fact you do represent an existing group how in hell did they nominate you to put forth a sound bite (for lack of a better description), that, at the very least, contains several mispellings? I would think that any organization wanting to initiate an exploratory step would at least have someone with a bit more command of the language but we'll put that aside for the moment.

Your idea, as it standds now, won't fly. For several reasons. States such as NH, MA and ME have laws that make it illegal to cull stripers. Both MA and NH stipulate a 2 fish at 28" or better for a daily possesion limit (in NH only one can be greater than 40") while in ME that limit is 1 with a slot of 1 between 22" and 28" OR 1 over 40". In NJ the limit is 3 at various minimum lengths with certain tags. How do you intend to adhere to this? No tournaments in those respective states?

This fishery is only now beginning make the comeback from an almost certain extinction and your proposal would put an undue hardship on the continuation of that.

I think we would all need to see more information in regards to your proposal for an informed decision to be made. Items such as where would these tourneys take place, how would the bass be weighed or certified and by whom, how would the governing body remain in compliance with the respective states, does the bass being weighed have to be dead or alive, how long would a singular event last, what is the position of the individual states Fish and Game entities that currently have regulations in place protecting Striped Bass in regards to your proposal?

With all the animosity now between the Recs and Comms the last thing we need now is a third party with an entirely different agenda to throw more fuel on the fire.

Paul E. Hudanish

in ME that limit is 1 with a slot of 1 between 22" and 28" OR 1 over 40".

Maine had got it right. For a state with a limited fishery that sees fractions of the fish and fisherman states like MA, NY, and NJ see, I am surprised to see that this is the one state that has the right kind of limit for striped bass. icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Why the hell can't more states adopt that? Limits like that make all but the most greedy meat fishers happy.

Your idea, as it standds now, won't fly.

Striper- talk about spelling, plus the guy's only asking a question.

FishinFeever- I know you have finals coming up. Hit the books.

Time for bed- sea ya!

Walt

Short answer - No!

Long answer - Hell no!!

I've witnessed the king mackerel tournament madness grow in NC and the southern states.

And these folks are fishing on a viable stock of fish, not one that is rebuilding from the brink.

Just what we need, wannabe "PROS" crowdin us in even further, how much you think the state and suffolk county would raise the fees on access permits when they learn we had nothing better to do with $1000 bucks but sign up for a tournament... ME THINKS NOT!

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input, sorry about the spellin, only had a few min to post. It was just a question. If I had the chance to make a living at the type of fishing I do I would jump at it. I'm not saying I would win but I am confident I could hang with any of my peers. As usual I don't post much here because of how it ends up 90% of the time. Once again thank you for your responces. As far as rules any regs, they don't exist, thats the idea of this board input from hard core sports fishermen.

[ 12-16-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: BOB CELICO ]