Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob C.

PROFESSIONAL STRIPE BASS SURF ANGLERS ASSOCIATION?

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Taking a survey if there is an intrest in competing professionally for stripe bass. 5 to 10 contests a year with 1st prise of 50,000.00 per contest. Fee to be ranked as a professional would be 1000.00 to 2000.00 per year with open enrollment for the first year and as the association grew a ranking system both amature and professional would be established.

icon14.gif I like it maybe a tag and release with a hmmm what do ya call those guys that go in the billfish boats to witness.

But how would that work for the surf guys....

hmmmm... may to complicated so lets just count them out wink.gif

1st prise of 50,000.00 per contest

eek.gif

thats a nice chunk of change, imagine all the plugs ya could buy with that.

How does it work? So ya spend 1000 bucks to get in a listing thing, and only those people are elligable for the contest? Maybe a lil more details would be nice. What exactly is this listing thing, what does it do?

Sounds like a neat idea, but I don't really like tournaments for stripers, because it results in fish that are otherwise released being killed.

I like the idea of rankings etc. If it is managed more like the bassmaster trail than crapshoot tourneys like ASA I think it could be neat. I think having someone trailing a contestant is a must.

Catch and release tournaments also seem to make more sense to me because where the bag limit is two fish and on a tough day a guys hits a 28", kills it because he knows other guys might be striking out too, then nabs a 32", and then later gets a 30 lber after filling his limit, the notion to cull your catch with 50,000 dollars on the line doesn't seem so far fetched. Have guys with scales trailing the contestants, and maybe it would work out.

Conservation always has to be a major factor when considering things such as this.

Sounds like a neat idea, but I don't really like tournaments for stripers, because it results in fish that are otherwise released being killed.

I like the idea of rankings etc. If it is managed more like the bassmaster trail than crapshoot tourneys like ASA I think it could be neat. I think having someone trailing a contestant is a must.

Catch and release tournaments also seem to make more sense to me because where the bag limit is two fish and on a tough day a guys hits a 28", kills it because he knows other guys might be striking out too, then nabs a 32", and then later gets a 30 lber after filling his limit, the notion to cull your catch with 50,000 dollars on the line doesn't seem so far fetched. Have guys with scales trailing the contestants, and maybe it would work out.

Conservation always has to be a major factor when considering things such as this.

Hey FishinFEEver- icon14.gif

Walt

Just saw the open enrollment part. I think there should be a limit on the number of competetors otherwise a catch and release tournament isn't practical.

Land based tournaments just don't work. It's an interesting idea, but they just turn into bloodbaths when every moron with $1000 decides he is good enough to be a professional surfcaster. I see no practical way to have tryouts either.

Another tournament trail increasing the pressure and popularity of this fish is not what the stocks need right now.

Why? So it could end up being like a saltwater version of the WWF rolleyes.gif ? Billfishing is being exploited by what seem to be a bunch of high-dollar yahoos. The Bassmasters has become a media circus and has been beaten thoroughly into the ground. Theres enough pressure on fish stocks as it is. Nothing needs to be piled on an already fragile situation. My $.02