Conversation with a friend today....

Rate this topic

DaveC

He made a statement that with all the new plugs on the market his "go to" lure hasn't changed....the black Bomber (he fishes like most of us, primarily at night). I thought about this a little and almost agree.

What do you guys think?confused.gif

------------------

DC ><}}}}>

DaveC <0))))))))))))><

I'm relatively new to the plugging game, only two seasons under my belt, but I have always done better with a yellow plug, last season it was a school bus bomber and this past season it was a yellow over white megabait. I always have a black bomber in my bag and throw it often but I always go back to the yellows and have had better success with them.

Rui

Bill,

I agree with you that the "oldie" is usually the "go to" lure. I, like many others up this way, had my early successes with a Bomber, and still have the most confidence with it (even though I fish other lures a lot now).

Rui,

On bright moonlit nights I like yellow. The chicken scratch Bomber is my choice then (or the yellow Megabait).

Arne

Arne
SOL #4

It wasn't all that long ago I stopped carrying ANY Bomber type lures. I just was not interested in catching smaller size fish.

Man do I hate all those hooks, specially on those flopping schoolies.

Needless to say, over the past few years all those plugs have found their way back into my bag.

this has to be the most disrespectful and disgusting thread I've ever seen posted

My personal "goto" is a Smokey Joe Redfin, but I'd bet we all carry that black Bomber. I wonder just how much consistency we'd find if we could open up everyone's bag and see what was there. I would guess that there are probably six or seven plugs that are "standard" along the coast.

Capt. Jack
Barnegat Bay Fishing Charters

Put one vote in for a black mambo minnow...just about the same as a bomber. I always have two in my bag, (large and small), and I even went as so far as to try and climb out to the end of flume to retreive my last one one snotty night...all I got were waders full of water and no lure...

Living on the right side of the bell curve for over half a century...

Life to the feeling man is a tragedy while life to the thinking man is a comedy.

I have thrown a black bomber all of 2 times this season. I have bunch of bombers but they aren't my go to. My go to changes from phase to phase. The only 2 bombers that i carry regularly are the chicken scratch and all black. I just acquired a buch of home paint job black and purple from an old salt that may make it onto the bag a few times this season.

I really like to change things up out there and may go thru 10 different combos per tide in jersey...and thats if i'm catchin.

I like trying new things all the time partly because i like buying new things all the time. but if i had to pick a goto lure for the season in Jersey for me it was a 4.5 and 5.5" megabait black over silver. with yellowover whitish coming in a close second followed by the small natural colored habs needle.

You guys talking about the yellow over white megabait with the orange top?

Mick,

I am talking about this one : http://www.stripersonline.net/cart/s...81994076.14351

Top one in right column was a pretty consistent plug for jersey in oct. and nov of this past year.

Well that link won't work, if someone with more compu savvy than i could paste a pic of the yellow 5.5" MB you'll see the color i am referring to

[This message has been edited by BrianZ (edited 02-12-2001).]

Brian, looks like you, at least, are referring to the Yellow Shad, in 5 1/2".

I had better luck with the 4 1/2" plugs myself. After the season, I bought a 4 1/2" Phantom Gold but haven't had a chance to use it yet. That's the one with the orange on top. Not sure that I like the orange on top; seems like it should be on the bottom.