Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THEKID

Can you walk away?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Often times it's said that where you're catching small fish you're unlikely to hook into a monster. I've heard some "experts" suggest walking away from the small fish in search of something LARGER. And while I do walk away at times, there are other times when I'm reluctant to up and leave feeding fish. Reason being, I've seen a 42 taken amongst 12# bass.

Are surfcasters who claim they walk away whenever the small fish show up simply blowing smoke up our butts -- attempting to show their will to ignore the obvious thrill of catching a rat (some obviously think this is a "sign" of a TRUE SURFCASTER -- a guy who can turn his head to small fish)? Or are they absolutely convinced that the bigger fish are somewhere else?

Do you walk or stick it out?

13546823-6ba0-02000153-.jpg

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

What's the duration of picking up small the ones? If it's hours yea I may walk. But other than that they ain't doggies. I stay on them and work around to see what's there. How do ya walk away yer fishing.

Great question- I struggle with that every time. I usually stay unless I have info about bigger fish elsewhere. I figure that a bigger fish may be mixed in and at least you're catching.

Are surfcasters who claim they walk away whenever the small fish show up simply blowing smoke up our butts -- attempting to show their will to ignore the obvious thrill of catching a rat (some obviously think this is a "sign" of a TRUE SURFCASTER -- a guy who can turn his head to small fish)? Or are they absolutely convinced that the bigger fish are somewhere else?

thats not my definition of a "true srufcaster" but to each their own. for me it depends on the circumstances. if it was during the day as your pic implies i would be resting for my nitetime assault after about 5 fish on poppers smile.gif

if it was at nite it would depend on what the bait was and even then i would be reluctant to leave feeding 10-20lbers. but would definately be trying diferent things to cull the larger fish of the school. at nite it is very circumstantial for me at this point. i do know/have fished with guys that could walk away from very aggressive cast after cast 15lbers+/-. for them at times i know it has paid off. i havent been able to walk away from those 15lb+/- fish yet, so i cant honestly say if it pays off. surf fishing for some means just culling BIG fish, for others it is more passive. "true surfcaster" generalizations are silly IMO. if you have fun and dont poach or leave garbag, God bless ya, even if you are in my spot wink.gif

I stay. Mostly because I'm hoping to catch the 20lber mixed in with the 5's icon15.gif. It happens often enough to keep from doubting my strategy.

[This message has been edited by MarkL (edited 10-21-2002).]

I have walked away in the past but not anymore for 2 reasons, first I dont think walking away and going to another "spot" ever paid off as for getting large, second in these days are there any big fish around that would concentrate in a specific area? I dont think so. So, no if your into fish stick with em, its action and your chances of large are slim and none anyway so enjoy the action. Just my .02

------------------

Keep using my name in vain, I'll make rush hour longer!! - God

I stay because I figure I found the fish, why leave them???? The point is to catch fish and have fun. So if you are catchin' and having fun. Why change?

Luis T

I stay for a while to get my quantity up, then I would walk to look for quality. I firmly believe it to be extremely rare to cull out a very large fish amongst small schoolies. While I believe they can run together, the sheer competition for food would be often won by the smaller more agressive fish.

I dont think there can be a wrong answer, but for me I would "catch'em up" and then look for greener pastures, assuming I had the same sized clones for some time.

Good thread icon14.gif

Mike

------------------

usa3.gif336tfs.jpg

Kid,

good thread.. I think there are two conditions 1) are you fishing just for you? (for fun) or 2) are you fishing a tournament?

1) If Im just out fishing, I can stay at a spot by myself or with my buddies and bang away at schoolies all night. Its a ball and its the reason we all fish, finding em and catching em

2) SInce weve joined a club, fishing sometimes can get a little more serious like a derby or tournament. In these situations where you are trying for a big fish, I might think about moving. Friday night I had 6 fish all between 11-14 lbs (cookie cutters as 1 guy said) in one spot. I moved.. caught blues, moves then eventually landed a pretty decent sized fish. If was fishing for fun, I NEVER would have left the 11-14 lb fish.. but I had to try elsewhere looking for a REALLY big fish..

great thread, it makes you think about what youre doing!!

BC

Always flee from small fish when possible.

But HOW FAR depends. Because MANY times, the big fish will be at the same structure, but on a different part of it.

For instance, you may be catching schoolies, behind some boulders, but if you cast 10 feet AHEAD of the same boulders, and you could hit MOMMA.

So whether I actually leave the area, or simply fish a different part it, I generally LEAVE a bunch of 12" fish.

TH

Good question.

This past Saturday was a perfect example. Cast after cast 1-3 pound blues. I picked up a double header that moved me North about 50 yards onto a sandbar. I got them off and decided to stay near that sandbar. I just

moved a little more North to get me into the

next cut.

The same Mambo Minnow, a cast, and wham, line started peelin. Their was no shakin of its head, just hard tugging Northeast. It went on for about 5 minutes. It gave me 3 runs and the only thing I saw for a short second was its gapping mouth in the suds. It was a large. It started to use the undertow of the current more and more and must of rolled the li'l mambo's tail hook. Evidently I had to much pressure on the fish. The small Mambo couldn't take the strain and the darn hooks straightened. Maybe the previous double hook-up weakend it. Needless to say, I took out a spare.

Casted, two slammer blues was all I had after that.

Point is I moved, yes unwittingly, but I came up with three fish that were 10 to 15 pounds heavier than what I was catching just 80 yards or so further south. Go figure.