Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinFEEver

Favorite Jersey Blitz

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

What was your best and most memorable blitz in New Jersey waters like. I haven't had the opportunity to fish all that many, so I really don't have a good story to tell, but what experiences do you guys have with blitzes in Garden State waters

First Sunday in November, '99. The fish showed in the morning by the short road at IBSP, and stayed all day. I quit counting after 50, and left when I felt like I was ready to pass out. I picked up a few teens during the daylight, but caught some truly decent fish after dark.

Not the best but certainly my favorite...

Last October a small blitz of bass and blues tearing up peanuts. Took 8 bass up to 14 lbs and blues up to 8 lbs in the hour that the blitz lasted.

Why is it my favorite? I had scouted out this area for a good part of the summer and I new that the bait was there when the tide and wind were just right. I also knew that the bass would eventually show up. The day they did I was there and got all the fish on my favorite popper (white Gibbs Polaris).

Rui

Columbus Day 1998. Blues had rainfish trapped up against the beach in the first parking lot. The water actually had a reddish tint to it from all the blood, never saw anything like it. It was awsome.

Last year, mid October...was killing a sunday afternoon catching some small tog at the Perth Amboy pier and watched the dumpducks start lining up in the water from Amboy to S.I. It got inceredibly quiet and still. There was only one other angler on the pier with me when the water started to boil. We looked down and saw the bass swimming right by the pier engulfing the peanuts. LOTS of bass. Quickly tied on a Mr. Bunker ratl-trap. EVERY cast there was a fish-on. Majority of fish were 24-28"...this lasted for about 45 minutes and then they were gone. Did have a biggun on but it spooled me and my 10lb test in seconds. Was an inceredible sight!!!

------------------

...the togman cometh...

got tog?

11-7-98 Deal area jetty. At first it was just me, JimG, and one other fisherman, but by the time we left, fisherman were lining the beach and rocks as far as the eye could see to the North/South. Bass were herding peanuts so thick, you could walk on them. We were trying to use lures, that WOULDN'T get hit, but that was impossible. Most fish were between 25 and 32 inches, but did see a guy walk a 30lber off the beach, he got it on surface wood, and that was the only "large" I saw that day. Left them biting, as it got very dangerous with every googan in NJ casting over your shoulder. In the photo pages here, the picture of me with the "bent stick" is that day, before anyone else showed up. Lost count of the bass.

The next day, I met JohnM fer teh frist time, took him to teh same genrul area, but we were fishles.

Fall of 1988.....so many big fish around that a 25 pounder didn't even get a look. Blitz after blitz up to Thanksgiving.

Fall of 1991.....big fish for two days. Fish started every night at twilight and lasted for 4 hours. I had lots of twenties fish, several thirties and some that looked bigger!!!smile.gif

Fall of 1997.....monster blue blitzes. I mean, monsters.....these weren't 15 pounders they were 20's.

Fall of 1999....the whole year was a big blitz.

------------------

DC ><}}}}>

Berkeley Striper Club...Seaside, NJ

Oct 15-17th 98'

Blues, bass all over peanuts from Bay Head to Seaside Park.. Took bass to 15# and blues to 10# all on surface plugs.. The action didn't let up for days - when I went back to college in CT the 17th they were still on a rampage.. Water was RED w/ blood..

December 6, 1998.

Ok, so I was fishing from a boat but this was still the biggest blitz I have ever seen in my life. The blitz stretched from Ocean City up to Atlantic City..all ONE BIG school. And they were from a mile off the beach to 3 miles off. So we're talking a bass blitz 5 miles long and 2 miles wide. As soon as we broke the inlet, I saw a HUGE cloud, looked like a storm was coming..Got closer and just saw this CLOUD of thousands and thousands of gannets as far as the eye could see just dive-bombing the water and coming up with 12 inch herring hanging from their mouths...Bass from 1 to 30 pounds BOILING all over. Herring and Rainfish jumping all over the place. As soon as your lure hit the water, a bass smashed it.

Jigged and threw poppers all day until my arms were sore from catching so many bass. Also many blues and weaks from 8-14 pound mixed in with the bass..I'd do ANYTHING to have that day repeat itself again.

December 19, 1998

Driving along the beach in IBSP around 12:30. Came upon a pod of bunker with the occasional swirl. Stopped and threw an Atom popper over the top. First cast, fish. Second cast, fish. Nobody around for a mile in either direction until one guy just happed to walk over the dunes at just the right spot. We followed the pod for over a mile casting and catching, just the two of us. All of the fish were between 26" to 30". When I finally ran out of gas over an hour later, I turned around to go back to my truck and realized it was a speck in the distance.

oct 31st 1998 spring fling zone, all day bass in close blues past jetty tips(in range) noone but me and uncle Z. i was so tired i never made it back out at nite bass to 18lbs and blues to 12lbs.

Columbus Day 1998...that was a good one...it seems the bluefish had sharpened their teeth that day...lost about 5 plugs. I remember walking south on the beach in Sea Bright and watching a bunch of guys running south following a pod of blues. There were a few guys further south fishing with bait. As the blues approached each rod went down in succession and I stopped to watch them reel n big weaks and keeper bass. Another funny site was a young kid who had just cast a yellow bomber...as his friends took off running after the blues he began to run and reel in his plug at the same time...out of the corner of my eye I saw his whole body get yanked backwards as a decent bass grabbed his plug getting dragged through the wash. That was quite a day.