Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBreese1

Herring in Raritan Bay

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

There have been some decent numbers of some LARGE Herring along the south shore beaches of Raritan Bay. Our friends have also been there. I got a couple of real fat slot fish there this Morn. on bait, and heard from a good source that last night some LARGE were caught by local sharpies live-lining some fresh snagged herring.

Good Luck

Jim

Jim it has been a nighttime thing on the top of the tide and about an hour into the outgoing. The majority of the action has been on the snagged herring but there have been some exceptional Large taken on plugs.

12 In. herring and some large bass on them. I was there this morn. and afternoon and saw wink.gif some large taken.

Jim

Large? How big are these "large"? I've taken close to 50 fish this week on live herring, but none over 26 pounds, and most being around 15 pounds. Not to say there are'nt any larger ones around, but I have'nt seen any. They are hungry though, as soon as the herring hits the bottom, it usually only takes about 30 seconds to find out if one's home,lol. Can you say "burnt thumb"?

------------------

Baubus5@home.com

I was on the Sea Hunter today and, on the way out, bait was jumping in the water from the marina to Flynns Knoll. The place is full of bait. Did I mention the bait ?

I did well this spring out fornt with the super shad rap, shad body jigs and a yellow surfster, but if i was tryin for em i would be trying the aforementioned as well as darters, one of those bigger tins spoons Tim gave me that i gave to Plug (that is if tim has anymore wink.gif adn i would also be trying to snag a coupel on occassion fi they were with in reach, of course big dannys and an atom or 2 jsu tot get my money worth on em wink.gif

Posted (edited)

In the Raritan Bay, are sea herring more likely caught along the shores?  Can they be caught further into the bay?

Edited by BillHoo

8 hours ago, BillHoo said:

In the Raritan Bay, are sea herring more likely caught along the shores?  Can they be caught further into the bay?

I'd love to know about of this too. I've heard more of herring around LI, but that could be just more people talking about it. I wanna smoke some herring!