Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tagger

2002 rate that year....

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Lets be honest..cwm13.gif How would you compare this year to years past..How was your Spring ? Summer ? and Fall Run.. My spring was alot of Small fish 30" and down.. summer was eeeh! and the fall was much like the Spring.. Never hitting the large really good..I have to say I've done much better in years past.rolleyes.gif I'm fishing North of Cape Cod south of Boston..cwm14.gif

The Spring was below average. This Fall was the worst ever for fishing Long Island Sound from the surf. I truly believe that each year I have been fishing (about 10 years now) the fishing has declined. The decline of bunker in the Sound and the decline of bluefish has been very dramatic. I guess the boaters do ok, but the surf fishing really sucks this year. Next Fall, I think I will plan on a couple of Montauk trips and if that is bad, then I will not waste my time on the short trips.

You guys are starting to depress me w/ all this talk about bad fishing. Over in CT, the fishing was very good this year compared to years past. No, it isn't the Cape or even the shores of RI, but we had a blast this year.

Spring - pretty good. Lots of fish to be had

Summer - best mid-summer I've ever had

Fall - On and off, but when on, it was incredible.

Maybe you guys who drive right thru our state should make a pitstop next time. Then again, there are no fish in CT. Keep driving HappyWave.gif

SF

p.s. BM..hope your job search improves. Prayers have been said my friend.

[This message has been edited by Soundfisher (edited 11-25-2002).]

FELLA'S : If your not catching fish in and around raritan bay the past week ,then you may want to consider playing more golf wink.gif . I'm not talking large but the numbers are staggering. I went out this morning and had over 50 fish myself and over 100 between two of us in 5 hrs. A good friend of mine was just around the corner from us and he had 33 fish in 3 hrs. I had been away at deer camp for two weeks and these guy's have been catching fish like this for a little more then a week now with out fail. Peanuts are making the surf turn black and the bass are as thick as they can be. All we need are some large to show up and this will be a banner fall.

I fish from a boat in the spring and had non-stop fishing from the end of march thru early July. with many fish in the 30 lb. range . I don't striper fish in the summer , I feel it is a waste with the water temp.'s the way they have been going , so I'll case other fishes then ,I'll admit that it took a while for the fall run to get going and it has been hit and miss , but I fish 3 to 4 nights a week and I have not skunked since I started at the end of August. I'm not telling you this to sound like I'm braggin at all . What I'm trying to do is show you that the fishing is not as bad as some may have you believe down N.J. way . Put the time in , match the forage and never say die , have confidence every time you go , and YOU WILL CATCH FISH IN N.J. GOOD LUCK "SWISS"

Had a great spring, fair summer, good fall. Overall, it was a very good year for me that I am happy with. Had the most amount of keeper size bass ever, most total number of fish ever, most amount of trips taken, largest weakfish ever.

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't

Spring was pretty good with a decent number of Bass mostly in the 30-36" range. Summer was a little slow with July and August producing mostly Weakies and an occasional bass of decent size. Fall has s***** so far can't believe that I'm o fer on plugs so far in November. What am I doing wrong? Maybe there really are no fish in central Momouth Co. Day time with clams in Island beach seeem the only way to catch a bass foor me.

Not only in this post,but in a lot of others,I hear guys complaing about the fishing.

I'm not sure why?

How many fish a year does it take to be a great year?

How big do they need to be to satisfy you?

How long have you been fishing for stripers?

Like Rich Swiss and Soundfisher,I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but....

I had the best season just about ever,I caught more big fish this year than any othere year in my life.

I know I caught well over a 1,000 bass this year and I've had other years like this as well.Granted 90% of them were under 30".But the other 8% were great fish up to 35" and the other 2%,35"-40".

To me this is a great year!

Every fish I caught this year was caught on shore/wading on plugs and rubber,no bait,no boat at all!

I caught my first striper when I was 18 or 19 years old,I'm now 36.Back then,being new to it and there wasn't a lot of bass available,I didn't do real well,compared to years to come.

Seems to me that since then,it has only got better,as I became more expirenced the numbers were growing at the same time.

I have never landed a 50 or even a 40 pounder,but enough 30s to be happy.

You will never hear me complain about the fishing,maybe a day or two,but never a whole season.

I guess I would rate my season a big 9!!

Spring-Great.Summer-good,Fall-Awesome!

RichSmith

This year in twice as good as last year for me with regards to numbers of both keepers and shorts. I've more than doubled the amount caught compared to last year. Nothing real big but alot of 10-18lbers. I'm not complaining like most of the guys I meet on the beach. [it's like a Seinfeld episode...fish the exact opposite of when you think you should]It's been working for me!

2002 is slightly behind for me....not becasue of the fishing becasue when i have been I have done pretty well this year I caught double digit bass on trips, to MA, RI and NJ so far this year and NC is just starting up. But the weather, the wind has been kickin my butt since the end of april early, may. With the best part of my bass season ahead of me yet if I hit them good once or twice 2002 will be better numbers wise than 2001. smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I had a mixed year, but overall quite good.

I flats fish for stripers on the East End of LI in the spring. This was not good. For whatever reason (some suggested warm winter) the flats I generally fish in Peconic, Shelter Island and North Haven, never got any reasonable number of sand eels on them, and they were very slow compared to other years. I got some nice fish, enjoyed myself a lot (tried to rethink the poorer than average fishing as a challenge), but did not get numbers.

I got an invite to Cape Cod at the end of the spring and that was great. Two days of picking nice bass off of shoals, and a few hours on Monomoy, which is one big set of beautiful flats.

Mid summer was good for me. I got a reasonable number of decent bass casting sinking lines and big flies over structure on the south side of Montauk. I also hit a brief bonito and skipjack run before the fall, and got my first skipjack on the fly. Skipjack, pound for pound, are a step up from false albacore, even if the tuna fishermen call them mushmouths.

My fall season was spectacular. I am a false albacore addict. It was my best fall at Montauk for albies ever. It was tough at times, as there were tons of blues, but the albies were there strong from early Sept to late October when I pulled out early. There were also a lot of great bass feeds at Montauk during this time, although to me they were primarily a way to find albies (always just outside of the shore bass feeds, or at least almost always).

So overall, a quite good season, and the best fall albie season I have had since I started chasing them at Montauk in 1991 (even better than 1998, which was a good strong run).

Spring - significantly below average

Summer - abysmal, I used to say I didn't need to fish rigged eels in the summer, I could catch on plugs. This summer even rigged eels didn't work

Fall - real good October, started catching significant numbers of migrants earlier than usual, November has been pretty good but still not par for November. I got skunked this morning under ideal conditions. I only fished for an hour and a half but that should have been plenty to catch a half dozen or so. It's been a gradual decline for the past two weeks. I hope we are just between fish.