Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomKat

One of the best days ever!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Saturday found pods of Adult Bunker, hooked up all day but kept getting bit off by Big Big Blues. One Striper boated about 34 inches.

So Sunday at first light outfitted with lot's of wire leader and snag rigs I ventured out off OC to try and find a pod of adult bunker. Very hard to do in the breezy conditions. Saw a few gulls hovering over an area and checked it out. They were over a pod of bunker! Snagged bunker and live lined for almost 2 hours without a bite.

Then when I was ready to leave a solid hookup and a few minutes later boated a 42 inch 24lb striper! From there it only got better!

TOTAL 8 STRIPERS BOATED OVER 20 POUNDS! All but one (kept for dinner) were hooked in the side of the mouth and quikly released. Along with several big blues.

I have had many fall days with more fish but never a day with so many big fish.

I have to give credit to Al Ristori and the Fisherman Mag for an article on how to fish schools of adult bunker with these rigs. Other boats around me were trying to fish with bucktails and not hooking up at all. I even tossed a couple of rigs over to another boat that could not hook up. I'm at work til Wednesday hopefully they might some still out there

Toad,

Wind right out of the west at about 20K, big, big waves. I was fishing at Barnagat Light. Got one shortie and two croakers on my little rod. There were more surfers than I have ever seen. Pretty to watch but a pain in the butt.