Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamesB

Assistance in locating a place to fish this weekend

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Dear Fellow New Jerseyites,

I have received some excellent advice from folks like Ben Lippen and others over the last month or so. I am a navy captain just back from years overseas and a brief stint in Iraq living in Wash, DC (so good to be home!). I have to travel up to north Jersey, Mendham, this weekend because of a death in my family. I have not fished north of Cape May in over 20 years do you have any recommendations of a good spot to try on Friday afternoon into the evening and on Saturday? I have a 4 wheel drive Tacoma but will be traveling alone. Do you recommend Sandy Hook or IBSP? What will I need to enter and is the driving on the sand difficult or problematic right now, don't even really remember the directions from the Parkway to these areas anymore. Was hoping for some recommendations so I don't waste what little time I have driving around and scouting out locations. You can PM me or email me at jamesburans1@hotmail.com.

Thanks and sorry to bother you all with this request for information,

Regards,

James

If I were you I'd be out on the south jetty at Cold Springs inlet. With your military ID you can do it. The fishing there can be outstanding. Let me know if you can bring someone. wink.gif

Greetings. IBSP beach access info, including requirements, costs, etc...you can find all that at this NJBBA link - http://njbba.org/access.html

It's expensive, $50 for 3 days...and it's generally quite crowded. There are dozens of spots from the outside of the park to the north, where you can park and walk on for free - and Sandy Hook might not be a bad idea either this weekend. They are due for a fresh shot of fish either coming from the bay or west from Long Island.

Good luck, let us know how (not where wink.gif ) yah make out HappyWave.gif

TimS

JB,

As a current active duty member of the USCG and being currently assigned to said CG installation, I'll pass the following:

Friends on military ID - yes - 2.

fish - yes

mid-week sunset bite best (Think eels)

weekends = boat assault putting fish down.

Call CG Security to verify if jetty is open and if they are handing out (free) jetty passes

898-6225

There ya go !

Good Luck

HappyWave.gif

A-Jay

ps. you'll need a long net/gaff. Cleats/Korkers although not absolutely necessary, are recommended. We will now switch you back to your regularly scheduled program.

Call CG Security to verify if jetty is open and if they are handing out (free) jetty passes

898-6225

There ya go !

Good Luck

HappyWave.gif

A-Jay

Andy, so your saying they give out free passes to fish that jetty from time to time? I would have never known. wink.gif

That might be a much shorter walk. biggrin.gif

Thanks A-Jay, good to know info smile.gif You might wanna clarify for folks that the "free passes" are not available to the general public but are for military personnel only...otherwise yah might have just started a flood of phone calls from people that ain't eligible wink.gif

TimS