NJSurf

Eels in the Passaic River?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

The LI forum was discussing the building of eel traps. It would be convienent for me to catch eels for live bait out of the Passaic river as opposed to finding a shop to buy them open at night, or a secluded area to trap them in the bay. Does anyone know if they travel that far up river. Are they there year round? Thanks,

Kurt

[This message has been edited by Kurt H (edited 06-24-2001).]

Kurt: I get alot of eels in the Rahway River that come upstream from Raritan Bay through the Arthur Kill, over about 5 dams to the stream by my house. I catch them in my killie trap (I get them too)and by rod and reel. The problem for me is that maybe 1 out of 20 is a fishable eel. Most are way too big. I am all but certain that eels make their way up the passaic.

American eels, Aguila rostrum, live in fresh water and in the fall migrate to the ocean to spawn. They all spawn in the Sargasso Sea. The young known as elvers, then migrate to fresh water. The elver migration should be taking place now

Thanks guy, Just built a trap "ala Rick G" for about $10. I'll give it a try.

hcw, cant you limit the size of the eels that get into your trap w/ the opening?

[This message has been edited by Kurt H (edited 03-15-2001).]

Last spring while fishing the Rockaway River up in the Bershire Valley I came across a bunch of eels mating. I guess they were freshwater eels. Great size for bait as they averaged 6-8".

hcw,

how big is big ??? like 3lbers? or like 22"ers? I have some use for about half a dozen of the really big ones in the 22 - 26" range. if you want to unload a couple to a nice young man like myself wink.gif...who knows it may bring you good kharma for your next poker nite...oh i forgot you don't need it!! wink.gif

BZ: The average is abour 24". Next time I get one I'll stick in the fishtank and you can take a look at it and tell me if you like'em. maybe we can trade eels for calicossmile.gif

After this weekend next game is 4/6 and 4/7 let me know.

We used to catch eels in the passaic and in its lower tributaries.  

I was just thinking about it, do they really get up the dundee dam in garfield?  

Are there eels in the upper passaic, say lincoln park area.  I am thinking yes, and if so, how do they get up the paterson falls?

I am eely curious about this.

4 hours ago, aae0130 said:

How do  they get up there? They don’t but their eggs do via bird digestive systems.

Don't think so.  The eels do their business in the Sargasso Sea, prolly require salt water for the eggs to hatch.

They do go around dams on land.  I had a buddy whose family owned a stretch of water on a small stream with a big waterfall in the Catskills.  He had seen them go upstream around the obstacle at night.

Kind of strange how our American eels go over there to spawn and the eels over there come here.  I wonder what they talk about while their passing each other.

14 hours ago, buz23 said:

Don't think so.  The eels do their business in the Sargasso Sea, prolly require salt water for the eggs to hatch.

They do go around dams on land.  I had a buddy whose family owned a stretch of water on a small stream with a big waterfall in the Catskills.  He had seen them go upstream around the obstacle at night.

Some one told me that they get To remote places that way......and also from boat bilges. Go figure.....

i ate one when I was kid. Skinned it (from the advice of an old guy) by nailing his head to a board, slicing around the circumference, and pulling the skin off with pliers. Rolled it in flour, and put it in a foil wrap with a chunk of butter o the grill. It actually tasted ok but I couldn’t get over that I was eating eel. 

More recently I think I may have had some at a sushi place.

On 6/16/2019 at 0:28 AM, 55555s said:

We used to catch eels in the passaic and in its lower tributaries.  

I was just thinking about it, do they really get up the dundee dam in garfield?  

Are there eels in the upper passaic, say lincoln park area.  I am thinking yes, and if so, how do they get up the paterson falls?

I am eely curious about this.

Not sure how they get up the falls or the dam, but I can 100% confirm they're up past the dam and falls, well into the Great Piece Meadows. I have the Saddle River in my backyard, and although it flows into the Passaic below the dam, I have seen many eels and have even caught stripers as far north as Fair Lawn. (only 1, but I almost s*** my pants when it happened).