Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erric

Fire-Line for spinning reels only???

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone settle my mind here?...While shopping at the local tackle shop, an employee reminded me that Fire-Line is for spinning reels only and is not to be used on conventional reels; and Spectron or Whiplash be used only on conventional...I questioned the validity of that statement, and supposedly "Everyone gets it backwards". So who better to ask then the "pros", thanks for your help smile.gif

Erric

Does or has the person you asked use any of said lines?

I know many people use both Berkley products on both types of equipment with very good results.

I personally only use Fireline on spinning reels and go to Whiplash for conventional. My one experience with Fireline on conventional ended on an expensive note with a couple of $$ plugs heading out into the deep blue on their own to search for rockfish.

Yup, I've been using Fireline # 20 on two spinning reels. One reel is a Mitchell Neptune(fantasic) and the other is a fairly inexpensive shakespeare that doesn't have a ball bearing roller.

In the past 2 months I've probably been out 25-30 times and I'm happy to report a fair amount of Blues and Bass(nerver enough) and absolutely no problems with the line.

Yup, I've been using Fireline # 20 on two spinning reels. One reel is a Mitchell Neptune(fantastic) and the other is a fairly inexpensive shakespeare that doesn't have a ball bearing roller.

In the past 2 months I've probably been out 25-30 times and I'm happy to report a fair amount of Blues and Bass(never enough) and absolutely no problems with the line, so-called wind knots, terminal knots, nothing.

I've had excellent success with 20lb Fireline on my conventional reels. Don't try the smaller stuff, though.

I'm currently trying to find some Whiplash to compare it to. I understand that it is cheaper, and I have two new reels to fill, and don't want to spend $60 to do it!

TH

Fireline for spinners only? Nope.

I use 30# on a Abu 6501C3 for bait fishin, 20# on a 5601C3 for 3/4 to 1-1/2 lures and 14# on a Penn 550SS that also used for lures.I also use it on a few baitcasters in the fresh water, I like it. I also use Whiplash on my jetty rod, I like that too smile.gif

All the salt water spinners I have are Penns, heard to many problems W/ the braid to bother to try it on them. As long as you follow the sugestions in the artical by Tim you'll have little or no problems W/ Fireline and a spinning reel. Read it, I think it's called braids and spinning reels.

I think the guy was tryin to tell you that Fireline is more spinning reel freindly that a braid.

Ed J

This guy reminds me of the guy who used to run Kwak's who once told me that 20# Trilene XL was a "fresh water" line and that I couldn't use it in saltwater.

People make a fundamental mistake when they assume that the guy behind the counter in a tackle shop--sometimes even the owner--actually fishes himself or even knows what he's talking about. biggrin.gif

Whiplash and Power Pro work fine on spinning reels. Tim's been using Whiplash on his spinning reels since it came out, and I used 30# Whiplash on my bay rod all spring and summer with zero problems--no tangles, no wind knots, no break-offs. In fact, I've yet to have an unexplained break-off with Whiplash or Spectron, even after a bunch of "professional overruns" on my conventional.

Fireline is a lot more wiry than these two braids and can be a bit of a chore on a conventional. But, lots of guys use 50# Fireline to jig the Canal.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 10-26-2000).]