Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wayne Tj

Need a boat rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Can someone help me out with a conventional boat rod. If possible I would like to use it for trolling jigs with braid and drift jigging. I know that these two characteristics are usually mutually exclusive as the optimum trolling rod should have moderate action, while a good jigging rod should have a fast action.

Is there something off the shelf that could do both fairly well?

Trolling jigs with braid. How heavy a jig? what test line? with any additional weight? and what reel? I'd go fiberglass. If you happen to be in Jersey City, Moe's B&T had a lightly used custom Calstar 670H equipped with Aftco lightweight rollers. That certainly would balance with a 4/0.

What is drift jigging?

Triet, drift jigging is basicaly just finding deep structure, setting up a drift over it and jigging while you drift. It works great in a lot of places and lets you cover a lot of structure in a short period of time. I do a fair amount of it up here, Salem MA, where there are lot of deep rockpiles, that hold cod or stripers depending on the season. It is also an easy way to fish when you are alone and setting and weighing anchor all the time gets old. Wayne, I have a couple of rods from the same series that Al mentions and they work great for this type of fishing. I have not done a lot of trolling with either of them yet, but I think they will work just fine. As for jigging and live bait from the boat, they are my new favorites.

Angryeel

[This message has been edited by Angryeel (edited 03-16-2002).]