Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimK

What was the biggest you got last night?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Looks like many of us had a wild night last night. Non-stop action for hours with guy's catching fish by the dozens!! The question is, did anyone get into fish over 28 inches? cwm13.gif That seemed to be about the biggest I could find and even those were just a handful of the several dozen I caught last night. Most seemed to be 17 - 24 inches.

jk

Had three that went maybe 25-26". All the rest were 16" - 22". Small but damn fun.

A quick story, last night I was on a jetty I fish frequently when two other guys came out, whatever, there were fish everywhere and enough room I suppose, so I didn't mind that much. Anyway, one of the guys catches a little bugger, and makes a comment about how small it is as he releases it. The other guy says something like; "I have had many LONG nights out here when I would pray for just one fish like that!"

Amen to that redface.gif !

I got a few over 30", all within 10 casts of each other. It seemed as if they were in one hole, and the shorts were everywhere else.

I lost count around 60, but I know I had to catch at least 20 more. I caught them on the fly, on the bomber/teaser (had at least 10 doubles on the teaser!).

Never in my life have I seen anything like last night...

Tight lines,

Surf Cowboy

It was a wild night icon14.gif They were hungry--I had one that ate both the teaser AND the plug cwm27.gif Just when I thought I had a bigger fish on, it turned out to be another doubleheader.

It makes me happier to hear all you guys happy stories than if I went myself icon14.gif Everyone should get to enjoy that kind of insane, crazy bass fishing at least once smile.gif

Glad so many guys got to enjoy it icon14.gif At least it will give many folks new to this sport an idea about what bass fishing can be like - and that's important. You can tell folks what "normal" is like till yer blue in the face - but let them experience just a hint of what "normal" can be and it becomes real and something worth fighting for icon14.gif

TimS

Tim, i cant beleive that kinda fishin bein normal. You guys who got to fish through the days where that was normal, are lucky. Guess i was born 20 years too late. Hopefully someday they'll return in those numbers (and maybe grow a bit bigger) for more than just one night a year.

I got a call from a friend so I went out for a few hrs and had a blast. Took the smaller rod and just enjoyed the action. Had one bigger fish on but lost it as usual. All were 24-28". In close and tight.

D.J.

I had a bazillion shorties, but one took me for a ride on my first cast onto a rockpile tip at around 1am. 3 solid runs from this bad boy, I didn't measure him or weigh him, but me and my fishing buddy felt he was a solid 15 pounds, I'm thinking he was around 35-36 inches. I'm being conservative on my guess, He felt more like 19 pounds to me, but like I said, I didn't weigh or measure him. He gave me a run for my money though. I haven't had a Striper on my 9ft Lami like that in a long time. It was awesome. I released him and he swam away.

Tim, i cant beleive that kinda fishin bein normal.

Adrian, I didn't mean last night was the average "normal" night at all...it's was just a taste of what's possible. Fall of 1998 was a lot like last night - but for about 40 nights in a row. Mostly small fish from 18-28" with a rare one over 30"...and a couple nights mixed in with much better sized fish from 32-36". The very strange thing about it was that where I was fishing, I was the only one there in the dark - and I was fishing a stretch of beach about 3 miles long smile.gif Other than stormy nights or unfishable nights, I was probably averaging 30-40 bass every night - some nights well over 70 fish. In fact, the very last fishing trip for me in 1998 I landed 37 stripers - hung it up for the year after that smile.gif

Actually, come to think of it, if you ask around, "normal" December fishing locally is a fish every cast but they are small. Many people just stopped fishing when that happened, why chase tiny bass after catching decent fish all fall? Go find someone who's plugged NJ's beaches for 10-15 years that didn't hang up their gear until the end of December smile.gif Ask them what a "normal" December fishery around here was.

Last night sounds like it was probably in line with an excellent night back in "normal" times - but from the sounds of it, it wasn't that vastly different than good solid December rat fishing I enjoyed the entire fall of 1998 - and that's only going back 5 years smile.gif

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I'm thrilled beyond words that so many folks I know had a chance to see what's possible - it's not a miracle, fishing like that or very near that is something we could see for entire falls if we stop killing so many fish coastwide. smile.gif

TimS

I didnt take any pics because the fish wouldnt smile and i didnt feel very pretty . but im sure if otter was there he would have taken a few pictures irregardless of landing anything. lookeemeee biggrin.gif