Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leicester56

rod suggestion for shimano calcutta 400s reel

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

The rod won't matter much, as far as the reel goes. You can use that reel on anything from a boat rod to an 11 foot surf rod. The only thing you wouldn't use it for is chunking.

So, in order to recommend a rod, we need to know how you plan on fishing and where. For example, back-bays, up-front surf plugging, jetty, etc.

I am novice enough not know the terms. I plan on starting out at some of the popular places near where I live (North shore MA) which seem to be a mixture of rocky outcroppings and non-bay beaches. At the latter, they cast from the sand into open water and seem to use rather long rods. I am kind of a small guy (5'10", 145lbs) so I don't know if that will also come into play.

thanks

Rainshadow 1088. I can recommend some rod makers if you want.

This is a very versatile rod- bombers on up to 2.5 oz. plugs. Good for jigging, eeling, plugging. I use mine 90% of the time now. I have usedit in the canal, Montauk, back bays, etc.

- R

Thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately, it looks as though the Rainshadow 1088 can only be puchased as a 1 piece (which is too large for me to transport). Any recommendations on 2 piece rods would be greatly appreciated.

I am kind of a small guy (5'10", 145lbs) so I don't know if that will also come into play.

You've never fished next to me, have you biggrin.gifredface.gif I do have you beaten in gross tonnage, however redface.gifredface.gif

The Arra 1204 is a great beach rod that would match very well to the Calcutta. Not cheap, but it would be worth the money.

There are also probably a few All Star blanks in two piece that would fit the bill if you were looking for a custom.

For factory rods, I'd consider the St Croix ASRC100M2, or maybe the Lami XS9MHC. I've never owned either so take this with a grain.

A 1-3 ounce Tica or Tsunami wouldn't be bad as a less expensive option.

-spence

As an "entry level angler" I went with a 9 foot tsunami with a Shimano Spheros 6000. I am very happy with the combination. For a reasonably priced rod, it seems to do the trick. I've also heard good things about the tica's.

David

By all means, on the north shore, go see Kay. After your second or third visit it's like walkin in to Cheers,

"Norm!!!"

x'cept up here Cliffy's mom KNOWS what she's talking about biggrin.gif

While you are at Kay's, check out the ten foot Diawa Sealine X. This is a sweet rod at a very reasonable price. It is extremely lightweight and powerful.