Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghoti

New to NYC - advice and suggestions welcome!

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'll be moving to the NYC area in early November and look forward to all the great fishing! I'm coming up from the Delmarva/Chesapeake Bay area so I'm no stranger to good fishing, but I heard it can be phenomenal up in NY/NJ.

I've never fished in the NY/NJ area so am looking for some suggestions to where to go. Of course, I've heard of Montauk and it's wonders, but was also looking for places that are closer to the city. I've heard of Sandy Hook, Jamaica Bay, and others but in very general terms. Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome for places, strategies, equipment.

Look forward to hearing from you guys (and gals) and hopefully posting some nice pics. smile.gif

Hi Ammodyte! Thanks for the welcome.

I'll be moving to Manhattan, so anywhere near there is great. Next year (or maybe this year) I'll make some trips to Montauk, but for now I'd like to be somewhat near the city - maybe up 2 hours away.

Check out Fort Tilden, Floyd Bennett field, Breezy Point, all of which require a Gateway National Park pass for either 2-wheel or 4-wheel vehicles; the 4-wheel drive vehicle passes are fewer in issue, and are doled out on a first come, first served basis - you've got to get them early in the year. The Gateway pass also allows access to Sandy Hook, New Jersey...

You can find info on how, when and where to obtain the pass on the web:

http://www.nps.gov/gate/pphtml/contact.html

Also, the entire Rockaway Peninsula, which is accessible via subway (A, C trains from Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens). Some nabes are sketchier than others, but I've fished most of them, day and night, and have never been hassled. Long Beach, Atlantic Beach are also pretty close by, by car.

Thanks Homerisadope and Carl.

I've checked out the HRFA web site but can't seem to find some information on where to go or what to use except for the Q&A page since I will most likely be living in Battery Park City. That would be nice to walk out of the building and do some fishing in my "backyard". Do you have suggestions on where to go in the site for some information?

Thanks!

Ghoti,

There is a very productive spot within walking distance from you I think. I was there in July and observed 100 fishermen there.

In battery park on the Southwestern side there is a walkway. Very close to the Gun Fort and ferry service. You can drive your car out there at night and fish in deep and productive waters. Your only problem is to find bait. Not too good in Manhattan. Let me know and I'll try to direct you.

Sometimes the HRFA website won't give out "Hot spots" I had to learn this from another member at the meetings. This is where you get the best info.

However, if you can't make it to the meetings. Just post your questions on our message board.

Good Luck

If you walk over to Battery Park on some day's, you will see that there are people fishing over there on the boardwalk. I'm not sure how well they do but I've heard of plenty of stripers and blues being caught there.

Battery Park City is a decent spot to fish. Buy Mackerel or Squid from the Fish department in the supermarket. Butterfish works as well.

"Under the Manhattan Bridge", FDR at 23rd St. are decent as well. As someone else stated, the "A" train will take you to Rockaway, where there are MILES of open beach!

There are many places to drive to.

Let us know when you get settled!

AMMO

Thanks for the tips! I just put in an application for a place in BPC today so I'm hoping to live there (right in front of Gov. Rockefeller Park). I should be moved in to the city about the first or second week of November and look forward to fishing up here and hopefully meeting some of you!

When I have a weekend to relax, I'll try and take the train to Rockaway Beach. Is it safe there at night and is it friendly to fishermen (legal and social standpoint)? I'm already laughing at myself and all the funny looks I'll get when people see me with my rod and gear on the subway. Unfortunately my 7' is a one-piece, but my 9' and 11' are two-piece so maybe I'll be taking them with me.

Carl, I'd love to join the HRFA, but I'm not too sure how much time I will have to be able to make it to meetings. Once I get settled I should have a better idea.

Ghoti

When you're walking around just ask the fishermen where they get bait, fish, etc. You'll find that most of them are very friendly and will be happy to give you information. I live in the city and don't have a car. I go fishing 2-4 times a week. There are plenty of places on the east and west sides of Manhattan. There are lots of great places within a 10-20 minute walk from where you will be living. There's many charter and party boats that are accessible by MTA. See you around.

Bob

If you're going by public transportation, which I did for 4 years, try destinations available on the LIRR. One of the best that's 40 minutes from manhattan is Long Beach. The beach is a couple blocks from the train station, a lot of fish are caught there. You can also walk to Magnolia pier also a couple blocks away. There is a car livery service right at the Lirr trainstation in Long Beach if you want to take a quick car ride to Atlantic Beach, Point Lookout, etc.

Good thing about the LIRR is it runs at odd hours and is quicker and more relaxing than the subway.

There's 3 terrific spots within 30 minutes of Manhattan. They are very good spots when fishing in the early spring or late fall.

The first is Roosevelt Island. It's under the 59th street bridge in Manhattan.

The second spot is Astoria Park. It's located in Queens. You can fish between the Triboro Brdge and Hellgate Bridge but you must wear korkers here. This area can be incredible at times.

The third spot is Wards/Randalls Island. You can get there by taking the M35 bus on 125 street and Lexington Ave in Manhattan. You want to fish the area under the Hellgate and Triboro Bridge. This area can also be incredible during early spring and late fall.