Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

NYSF Freeport

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

This is getting to be annual start of my real fishing season - the Freeport show. Pleasure meeting the guys. Ipspest, your kids are lovely, just lil' charmers. Felt odd not to see Bill Priensberger at The Surfcaster. Dave Wetzel did a good show, so did Al Goldberg, so did Jaeim Fleishmann, so did Crazy Al - boy, does he attract hecklers, me'n a few others to bust his chops. Harassing Alberto is lots of fun, hee hee. At this point Alberto has caught so many large flatfish in his life that I'm convinced one eye is starting to migrate across his nose, so they'll be on the same side of his face - honest. Take a look when you see him next. I have a guest whom I take to and from the show each year, so I can't do this myself, but there oughta be a SOL Coffee Break at a Freeport Diner at a scheduled time. ... pity there isn't room for a casting pool, so people could try out some flyrods. Ate my annual hot dog, tomorrow I buy my first permits, ah spring.

Good show. Get there tomorrow or wait for the Rockland County Show.

DO NOT go to the show at the coliseum unless you enjoy paying 7 bucks to park to see a bunch of bozo's hawking crap. Fair warning.

Steve

Thanks BrianBM!!! The compliment is truly appreciated icon14.gif

I've gotta say I have two really good ones.My little pals heart.gif

Full of the Dickens but they are being taught right from wrong and having manners.....

And they know not to mess with Mom or Dad mad.gif or we lock

em in the basement and feed em bread and water for a week

if we remember they are there cwm13.gif

Kidding of course!!!!

The Freeport show was great!

The Flyfishing folks from LI Flyrodders had my kids tying flies and loving it!Super nice guys!!!

The Coast Guard Aux folks were also a great bunch as was everyone up at the "Teach a Kid Fishing" area.

Didn't make it to any seminars.........5 and 7 year olds just don't care much that Bill Wetzel and Alberto have tons of info that Dad wants to hear about.

I did buy a book and get it signed by Doc Mueller........

and meant to talk with Nick Karras .......

And I seemed to follow BrianBM around a bit biggrin.gif

Everytime I turned around we were passing one another........including standing in line to buy a hot Pretzl and realizing the guy buying a hot dog in front of me was?

yup..........BM again smile.gif

Great to see and talk with Shaky Steve!!!

Looks like things are going good for you.......and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Addict.......good to see you also!I still owe ya $5 from the Celtic Quest trip

MattyBlazer.........you have good kids also.

Did I seem hungover?LOL I felt OK till around 2PM....then faded quickly from the previous nights festivities catching up to me!

Ahhhhhhh.........to be young and able to stay out late.

On second thought I really don't miss that at all.Once in awhile is OK to let loose and party hardy.........but the recovery nowadaze is brutal!!!!

Between the Noreast Bash on Friday night and the Freeport Show Saturday.......I have a serious case of fishinfever!!! icon14.gif

A booth where the kids could tie flies - what a GREAT idea!!! I missed that. Ips, you're welcome. Steve, not to worry - I won't. Now that I've been to the NYSF show, my need to get out to a show is satisfied, I can go start buying permits and otherwise thinking that spring is not far away. smile.gifsmile.gif

Went Sunday, great show. Ran into some pals, picked up a few goodies, and sat in on some seminars. Ralph Votta did a terrific show on fishing with tins. You could see the passion in his eyes when he speaks, very enlightening, must make it a point to explore his methods this season. Had a long talk with Larry Carlucci at the LIBBA booth, great guy. He says they're in the process of working with the Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor to try and get Tobay back for us, good luck guys! Urge everybody to attend the next meeting as a show of support for those members who do all the legwork, I know I will.

biggrin.gif

Went Sunday, great show. Ran into some pals, picked up a few goodies, and sat in on some seminars. Ralph Votta did a terrific show on fishing with tins. You could see the passion in his eyes when he speaks, very enlightening, must make it a point to explore his methods this season.

biggrin.gif

doood, i saw you sneak in at the end of ralphs seminar, wanted to say hello but you were engulfed in conversation. had to run to see bill wetzels seminar. good luck with those super strikes, i could see you bought like 50 of them through that bag u were hauling around wink.gif

tackle fair. seminars good.my nephew tied flys.al talked migration .luv that subject. BW talkedwhite exit water out of those coves at ???capt kess 3 way bucktailing race MEN ONLY.andy locasio livelining and chunkin bunker.great speaker good tecnics.Now ya did it.its startin again. fishin worse than crack.hi BM ron

was good to see so many guys - thats what made it worth while.

But went with a stack of bills and returned home without doing much damage at all.

not many good deals that I could see, Actually bought some wildeyes that LI Striper told me later I coulda done much better at Walmart. confused.gif

It aint what it used to be, but thats nobody's fault, after all, almost no shows are.

the good ole days,

remember getting the nice gibbs lures for like 3/$20? Or better? How about the korkers that used to be what, $29? Yeah, the Surfcaster used to have a great deal on something as well.

You are right John

Walked in with stack of $20 and spent exactly $6 on two knife holsters for work confused.gif .Not much to be had.Had to run to Causeway after the show to get a particular hook. icon25.gif But seeing guys was good.Meting some people for the first time was even better.And Doc's and Bill's seminars are always informative icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Hey chicky, didn't see ya, shoulda said hello...couple super strikes, couple gibbs needles, couple tins, like

john said no great bargains anymore, oh what the hell, wife woulda ransacked my wallet after I went to bed anyway!

biggrin.gif

Hey chicky, didn't see ya, shoulda said hello...couple super strikes, couple gibbs needles, couple tins, like

john said no great bargains anymore, oh what the hell, wife woulda ransacked my wallet after I went to bed anyway!

biggrin.gif

hope she didnt get her hands on $ from the rod and reel i got of ya!

It DID feel odd to not see The Surfcaster there. I emailed Barbara a week ago to ask if they were going there but she never replied...

The show was good anyway, DEFINITELY better than the "hick" show at the Coliseum!

DarterMan