Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billwetzel

PENN SLAMMER 560

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I while back somebody on SOL had ask me to review the Penn 560 after giving it some hard use. --If my memory serves me correctly I purchased the 560 in May. The reel now has about 120 hours on it- most by customers. About 15% of it's life it has been under water. -When I purchased the reel I noticed how smooth the drag was and the gears felt like butter. I didn't service it for the first month, b/c I wanted to see how it would hold up. When I finally did complete a service the drag was flawless and to my surprize there was very little salt built up on any of the gears even though it had seen major time under water.Hmmmm I thought -not bad. Another thing I like about the reel is that it's easy to take apart for service. I havn't taken a close look at it but Penn must have improved the cross wind block. Anybody who ownes an SS knows when that part goes ( which it does every month) you get an uneven spool of line. Not with the 560-so far. I'm not a big fan of bails but the 560 bail also has been flawless so far. Which I find pretty amazing for a bail to go through the punishment I put it through and remain in good working condition. On the negative side the reel is a little small for targeting large on my 10', and a little big for my 9'rod. But just ok for both set ups. The 560 holds 325 yds of 12lb/0.35 dia. Less obviosly for 15# mono, and a lot less for 20# mono. Hook into a large with a lot of line allready out and you may be asking for trouble. Another negative is that you can't fill the spool to the rim,as you will be guaranteed line twist(at least for mono).Then again I personally don't use the reel much and my customers may not be using the back of their index finger when there is slack?? Note: for my customer reels I use mono b/c it's just easier for me to work with--don't want to start any arguments on lines. Anyway I'm probably going to convert all my customer rods to the 560,unless we strictly are targeting large and I need more spool. Or I may wait to see if Penn comes out with a 660. If anyone from Penn reads this post -please encourage Penn to get a 660 in production.

------------------

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

McCoy -

The only way to somewhat seal the 706 is to pack it with waterproof grease. As far as drilling out the spool that doesn't waterproof it only allows for water and sand to be flushed out of the rotor cup.

Hooky wink.gif

thanks hook- to what extent do you pack it? completely fill gear case or put a layer under the cover?will grease displace the anti reverse dog? what about the area where the shaft for the handle is and the handle bearing? thanks for any help.

Good to hear Penn has made a good reel. i expect they will expand it into a complete series, at their customarily glacial pace. Be nice if they fixed the 975 per Ditch Jiggers' complaints about the levelwind, too.