Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Montauk Pete

MONTAUK TRIVIA #1- Winner gets Plug

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Trivia Question: Give some history of the origins of the Dead Man's Cove, why it was named "Dead Man's". Looking for a thorough answer. Looking for names. Impress me please.

Prize all NEW!: Pencil Popper or Needle Fish(custom similar to beach master) or Metal Lip (whichever I have at that time from my arsenal)

Rules:

1) One answer per person only (No editing, modifying your answer later or get disqualified)

2) Closest decriptive/indepth answer win the prize.

3) If no one wins, then I'll hold a drawing and add the names of whoever answered and let my son pick a name from a bucket. Winner picks up plug at Dead Man's Cove. (just kidding, town is ok)

4) Trivia ends: 10-19-04, 12pm

Lots of luck.

Pete.

[ 10-12-2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Montauk Pete ]

that would be the place, in the mid 70's, where myself and my co-horts would carry coolers full of heinekens to, then line the adjacent boulders with little green dead men biggrin.gif i think? never heard of the place actually but would like a floating A40 if you can swing that biggrin.gif

Dead Mans's Cove got its name from several bodies washing up after a shipwreck.

I believe it was the 1858 wreck of the John Milton which mistaked the Shinny Light for the M light and turned into shore.

Dead Man's Cove did get its name from the wreck of the John Milton in 1858.

While she was away at sea a new light house was built on the south shore in the Shinnecock area. Around the same time the beacon in MTK was changed from steady to flashing and the new light was a steady beam. This is the reason for the mistake in where the Milton was. She hit the beach and all hands where lost.

Hi Oz HappyWave.gif

My brother is getting hitched on Holloween, so this weekend and next are out. Hoping for a good Nov and to do a few hit and runs during the next couple of weeks. See ya out there. Gotta go and catch a tide. biggrin.gif

Paul