DZ

VS 300 serial numbers

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, DZ said:

E0867609-F2D3-4B2A-94A1-E1E37BF88D9C.jpeg

Thank you! I'm fairly certain now that I have an original. Any idea of when these serial numbers were made? Early 90's from what i read on your post...?

1 hour ago, ChickenFreckle said:

Thank you! I'm fairly certain now that I have an original. Any idea of when these serial numbers were made? Early 90's from what i read on your post...?

Yes early 1990s.  

13 hours ago, ChickenFreckle said:

The early ones have bolt on side covers. They are bigger than most VS300 out in the world. 

I have a VS300 #982............ Bought it while Ronny Dietrich was working for VS  making bags & rods............I also have one of the large bags he made along with a bunch of plugs he made named Coastal........He was a great guy & left us way to soon.... Mike

So here are some photos. I’m confident now that I have an original VS. Thanks for all the information fellas, it was much appreciated. From the eBay listings and sells that I have looked at it seems like the reel has a worth anywhere from $500-850, maybe with the condition I could get closer to $900. I have some big boy purchases coming up so I’ll think about whether or not I want to list it on eBay, but overall it’s a decent find for something I had COMPLETELY forgot I purchased. 

7F610FFE-A647-4F78-8B89-5A27E78960FF.jpeg

6EC74C72-310D-4351-B88E-2C7EA686A74A.jpeg

D3A477E7-7812-479B-A1C8-AC8C481C1C39.jpeg

FF05001E-9C98-4E53-B416-E2B2813F6882.jpeg

E5F0D282-2CD9-4CE1-88B7-40A66212958E.jpeg

F005F322-D4C1-4CE1-BC18-BC8A103C7550.jpeg

9B3AAEEA-C71A-4FD5-8740-2E5A05365A68.jpeg

BD7BEE4E-33F9-4A6A-8B0E-AB91C785313A.jpeg

....while I don't have the Reel or any pictures when Bill the original owner of The Surfcaster announced his intent to market The Reel I sent in a deposit and got in line. Eventually my 300 arrived, serial #006, I never used it. Paid $400 for it and wound up selling it for $500 about five years later. Bill even sent me a spare second design handle as a perk.

10 hours ago, ChickenFreckle said:

I will take a few photos and post them here tomorrow. Thanks.

Well I have 8 vs300 my highest ss# is in the 7800. Four are the first run with the bolt-on side cover. Two are engraved gold,one gold with solid rotor and a silver witch has the highest ss#. Like you I spent hours on looking and calling around to try to figure out how many were made and what year. The sad story is nobody knows! Poor record keeping and the company being sold a few times or Rob K but for Van Staal and ZeeBaas there’s no way to know how many were made or when. Sorry for the bad news about that. I like the reels but their more for a boat but I use mine for sharks of the beach.

1 hour ago, ChickenFreckle said:

So here are some photos. I’m confident now that I have an original VS. Thanks for all the information fellas, it was much appreciated. From the eBay listings and sells that I have looked at it seems like the reel has a worth anywhere from $500-850, maybe with the condition I could get closer to $900. I have some big boy purchases coming up so I’ll think about whether or not I want to list it on eBay, but overall it’s a decent find for something I had COMPLETELY forgot I purchased. 

7F610FFE-A647-4F78-8B89-5A27E78960FF.jpeg

6EC74C72-310D-4351-B88E-2C7EA686A74A.jpeg

D3A477E7-7812-479B-A1C8-AC8C481C1C39.jpeg

FF05001E-9C98-4E53-B416-E2B2813F6882.jpeg

E5F0D282-2CD9-4CE1-88B7-40A66212958E.jpeg

F005F322-D4C1-4CE1-BC18-BC8A103C7550.jpeg

9B3AAEEA-C71A-4FD5-8740-2E5A05365A68.jpeg

BD7BEE4E-33F9-4A6A-8B0E-AB91C785313A.jpeg

If you have the box and bag i’d Think you might get 400-600$ for my first run all new in the box one with spare spool were 495-800$ just a couple of years ago. Your spool on the bottom should have the ss# to match your reel on it and they are a non-sealed spool. Also don’t break anything on it no spare parts except the seals and line roller. But a nice little gem.

Yea if we are talking $400-500 I’ll probably just keep this thing in my collection of other reels. Like I said I had completely forgot I even had it and thought “well let me make sure it’s legit and if so maybe make a little money off of it.”. At $500 it’s not even worth selling on eBay with all their fees and what not. Maybe I’ll list it one day but we will see.

I believe this is an older reel. Forget early serial numbers as they were inconsistent to the point of being a moot point. My early-on original order of 300's were approximately 35-40 reels and the serial numbers were all over the place although the reels were manufactured at the same time. The serial numbers may have "started" with #0001 but the first 100? numbers were "reserved" so in actual terms most "available" reels started with a higher number and without a lower number made previous to it and lower number reels could be "filled in" although they were made at a later calendar date.

The reasons I feel this reel was previous to my order, and input -

The reel is un-timed, starting with my order all subsequently made 300's were timed. Secondly the roller is black. I am only working from memory but I think the earliest rollers were aluminum but I had Rob make stainless rollers for my order. They were the first stainless rollers made to the best of my knowledge and they were not black.

4 hours ago, SC said:

I am only working from memory but I think the earliest rollers were aluminum but I had Rob make stainless rollers for my order. They were the first stainless rollers made to the best of my knowledge and they were not black.

You are right on that call early line rollers were made of Alum. and anodized. When the the first 200 came out l went right to the plant and bought one l had a resale number, my 200 reel number was 375, the line roller did not last long l have a machinists back ground and made my own SS line rollers before he came out with his own, l drilled it out to reduce weight and l also made a solid one with out holes, the SS roller that l made now is attached to my Penn 704 l also made the roller arm for the 704.

My VS 200 is long gone sold it 15 years ago wish l had keep it it was engraved with a stripper.

DSC02216.JPG.ba464ed3edd0a0e121100ddcabeb1cf7.JPG

Edited by LB

11 hours ago, ChickenFreckle said:

Yea if we are talking $400-500 I’ll probably just keep this thing in my collection of other reels. Like I said I had completely forgot I even had it and thought “well let me make sure it’s legit and if so maybe make a little money off of it.”. At $500 it’s not even worth selling on eBay with all their fees and what not. Maybe I’ll list it one day but we will see.

It’s a good reel to have but no one really wants them. To heavy to cast with all day but perfect for boat or bait fishing. It’s a first run for sure!

4 hours ago, SC said:

I believe this is an older reel. Forget early serial numbers as they were inconsistent to the point of being a moot point. My early-on original order of 300's were approximately 35-40 reels and the serial numbers were all over the place although the reels were manufactured at the same time. The serial numbers may have "started" with #0001 but the first 100? numbers were "reserved" so in actual terms most "available" reels started with a higher number and without a lower number made previous to it and lower number reels could be "filled in" although they were made at a later calendar date.

The reasons I feel this reel was previous to my order, and input -

The reel is un-timed, starting with my order all subsequently made 300's were timed. Secondly the roller is black. I am only working from memory but I think the earliest rollers were aluminum but I had Rob make stainless rollers for my order. They were the first stainless rollers made to the best of my knowledge and they were not black.

I took the original black aluminum one’s off and put on the current ones. Didn’t want to rune the original ones.