tattoobob

Bailless PennSS series

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

any one ever do this i found i can get kits to mod these reels

also drilling the spool out i have a friend with a machine shop who can do it

any one ever do this?

bob

Bob, I have a friend that did both to a 650ss and loves it. He claims the Manual pick up kit from Penn is very braid friendly and stands up pretty good.

Yeah I have to 7500ss and to 6500ss that are manual pick ups I took off the bails about 3-4 years ago and won't every be putting them back. I haven't drilled them out but have been thinkin of doing that when I have some time. I'm just not sure of a pattern for that yet though I guess that six holes spaced evenly should do it. I also have a spare spool for each.

All I use are Penn Reels since selling off my VS. I have 706's, 750SS & 850SS. On the SS reels I use a Dremel and cut off the bail near the roller. Then smooth it down with a light sander also from the dremel kit. I do not like any of Penn conversion Kits. You can drill the spool. I have all my spools drilled. On the 850 you can measure about 2 1/4" between holes. This should give you about 5 drilled holes. Measure & mark them prior to drilling. Start with very small drill bit then proceed to enlarge the hole. Wish I could show you a picture but I can't.

Take Care

SB

I must ask, why one would drill holes in the spools? Are you concerned about weight?

I also have a few SS reels I use all the time and have thought of getting rid of the bail but have not done it yet. Seems simple enough from what SB50 said.

d-man

I used the conversion kits and like them. They are easy to install and have lasted since day one. The oldest one is four years now others are a lil closer to three years and not a problem.

i will post some picks when he is done. i will give him the spool

and probably do it asap i have to drive and get the kit but maybe i will do it this weekend

mightymouse, i will wait but i heard those excuses before

don't worry no one has sent me anything, imagine making a bet and not paying up

On the SS reels I use a Dremel and cut off the bail near the roller. Then smooth it down with a light sander also from the dremel kit.
thats what i did to an old 650ss icon14.gif

i didn't know they made kits redface.gif