BST Users
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by JimKu

  1. I listen to WEEI most mornings while driving to work. I only have a 20minute ride typically between 7:20AM to 7:40AM. If I don't like what they are talking about I will switch to 98.5. If there is a commercial I switch to NPR. That's about the extent of my listening. 


  2. I'm in North Dartmouth MA. I think it's a pretty good central location to a decent number of options. 

    15 to 20 minutes to multiple back bay type spots.

    35 to 40 minutes to some ocean spots.

    50- 1hr to Canal.

    1 hr 20minutes to Falmouth.

    Newport 45 minutes.

    The older I get the more I visit closer spots. I still venture out 45minutes to 1.5hrs but not as often I as used to. 


  3. I went through the warranty process 5 or so years ago. They offered me a 75% off coupon for any new pair. I bought a pair and the rubber has peeled off. I think I’m going to try the warranty process again. Would be nice to get full replacement. I believe the warranty is cooked into the price of the glasses. What do you think these things cost to make? $30?For $150 to $250 a pair they’re making a good margin. I know they need to cover a lot of other expenses but we’re paying for the warranty up front. 


  4. I caught a 33" catfish about 35 years ago in a north jersey small lake on a 6" black manns jelly worm. I was fishing from the bank targeting largemouth. I cast the worm near a tree along the bank. Something took it and I thought I had a huge bass on but realized it must be something else by the way it was fighting. It took me a long time to get it in with the setup I was using. 


  5. I have cut down on my canal trips by a huge amount the past two years. My common time slot was between 8pm and midnight or as long as I could fish without being too tired to drive home. There was usually not too many people fishing that time slot so crowds were no issue. I purposely didn’t  go at sunrise on good tides due to crowds. I did go this sept a couple times at sunrise on good tides and there was hardly anyone fishing. I stayed away from both ends. Did check out bell and east end after 10am and there was only a couple people there. This was on fridays. 
    The canal is an hour ride for me. I love fishing the canal but with the high gas prices and the good fall bass fishing 20minutes from my house I haven’t had a reason to go to the canal. 

  6. Last night. Hey someone is fishing in my spot. For the past two months someone has been visiting my spot. It’s a smalll spot so I like to be alone there. If im there first they don’t care. They fish it anyway. If I see someone there I go to a different spot. 
    alternate spot. 
    slow slow slow. Just about to leave but decided to stay until end of incoming. With water barely moving. Wham. Nice fish. Next cast wham nice fish. 15 minutes later wham nice fish. 33 to 36”fat. Start of outgoing wham decent fish. 27”. Fished for another 20 minutes and left. All on 5” storm shad near bottom and on the sink. 

  7. Picked up about a dozen schoolies shortly after dark. All small stuff mostly 15 to 18. One maybe 24. Most damage with 4 and 5” storm shad jigged near the bottom. Also caught a few on white bucktail with 5” curly gulp. 
     For some reason I had several fish hooked and come off. I did have a crushed barb. Maybe too crushed. I had one weird one on the storm shad. Hooked up. Felt like a small schoolie. The thing took off my line went limp and was left with just the weight and hook. Shad body completely removed. Maybe a blue?

    If you’re not fishing near the bottom you may be missing out.  Most of my fish the past month or so have been sitting near the bottom in the current. Nothing new. Just a reminder to try the whole water column assuming conditions allow. 
    also haven’t had much luck around sunset. Most action after sun goes down. Today I started at 4pm but the bite didn’t start until 8. By 930 I was too tired to continue. 

  8. Started around sunset and bounces around a few backwater spots.  Very slow to start. Finally managed a couple small schoolies in one spot as the tide started dumping. Moved to another spot and had a couple taps but didn’t hook up. Around 10pm the bite turned on and I quickly caught 4 fish. Two decent size slots and some slightly below. It didn’t last long. Did the fish move or did I catch all of the ones that moved in?  Ahh the mystery of fishing. Tried for a little while longer and didn’t get anything. 

  9. On 10/14/2022 at 5:28 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

    Seen two guys walk off a jetty with a cooler full of albies.  Literally had to be like 20 of them in there.

    Did they catch them in the rain? 

    I observe the same thing on a jetty I go to. Just about every albie goes in a bucket. Mostly the same guys fishing there and I don’t know if they work but they are there from morning until sunset during the week also. Other people also taking. Anyway it’s legal. I did ask and they said they are good you have to know how to prepare them. 

  10. Technically ma but very close to ri. Good outing  in back water spot . From 730 to 830 caught about 7 low slot  and slot fish. As the tide came up the bite died. Maybe I couldn’t get my bait in the zone or maybe they moved. Around 9 a couple of other people showed up and were randomly casting cutting off my drifts. This is a small spot and I didn’t get a bite in about 1/2 hr so I left. 

  11. I think we all ask ourselves the same question. Are there fish here and not biting or is there nothing around. The only way to tell is like other said. You have to have some type of visual. Without that you will never know if there are fish there or not. 

    You can be fishing for a while and then all of a sudden get a hit. Were the fish sitting there the whole time or did they just swim in from a different location? What made them bite? I think we all try to get better at answering these questions to make us better fishermen.  


  12. Hit a northern ri jetty around 1230. Low tide three guys fishing the end and looking dead. Guy walking out said there were a couple albie sightings but very slow and no one caught anything. Since I had nothing else to do I decided to stick around. Around 1 the albies started showing. They were popping up pretty frequently all afternoon and staying up for awhile. Unfortunately they were not easily caught on artificials. I didn’t get any but had several shots and kept blind casting.  I saw about 5 caught all afternoon and the guys fishing near me missed a few. They said the morning was dead. 

  13. 3 hours ago, OceanBanter said:

    Went to a spot yesterday with water and saw three or four birds working close in but no fish. I cast my lure over and over again but no fish were cooperating. I fished the same spot for 4 hours with no hits. This fall has been very very slow for me maybe I need to change my tactics. 

    We all have days like that. I would definitely try to switch up your tactics.  Different location, times, presentation, tides etc.   

  14. I noticed a drop in people targeting them. I think many have converted to Albie fishermen. Same goes for many scup fishermen. 

    I also think a three fish limit makes it not worth targeting if you are looking to eat. Most people I saw targeting them would be filling buckets. You don't get much of a meal with three tiny snappers. 

    It seems the numbers have dropped where I have been fishing. Not sure since no one is targeting including myself. 


  15. I saw a recent post stating they were using Roberts Rangers to catch stripers. I have use roberts or a knock off for a long time primarily for bluefish. I had one in green which I lost and the one I have now is red. I typically use it to search for bluefish since it casts a mile. I don't remember ever catching a striper on it. Wondering if there's a color or specific type of roberts to catch both blues and stripers. Maybe a different retrieve?

    I usually just real it in on top of the water. 

    So what robert do you use? What color? Weight? Retrieve?

    Checked out their web site. Getting pricey. So what isn't these days?



  16. On 10/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, EliasA said:

    I’ve been dying to get out all week and have basically been living through everyone’s posts on here lol


    I have kept myself sane with a few quick canal runs in the early morning, it’s been a great week at the canal, but now I’m out both reels. My staal is away getting serviced and I may have accidentally gone for an early morning swim in the canal with a fish on my line, so my Ultegra got dunked and full of water, so now I have it taken apart and am in the process of saving it.


    I’m thinking about making a run down today with my albie gear to catch some of those baby bones if they’re still around just to keep me sane

    heres the culprit who about drowned me the other day 



    I was at the canal on Friday morning east of the Sagamore. There wasn't crap going on. Decent amount of people fishing but no one catching anything. Picked the wrong location or day. I know everyday is different and different area's can be producing while others are barren. The problem is I tried the last three Fridays since I had off from work and they were all unproductive days. 

  17. This weekend picked about 10 decent tomato's. Some green peppers, jalapeno, kale, lettuce, one lonely cucumber, and a big basket of green beans. It's definitely near the end. Butter nut squash is still sitting out there but the vines are dying back. I'll harvest soon and store. They last a long time in the cool basement. 

    Cool weather stuff should go for a little bit until it gets much colder. Such as lettuce, parsley, kale.


  18. Friday shore. Tried for bass in canal at sunrise on perfect tide. The fish didn’t think it was perfect. Nothing going on. Bounced around canal  didn’t see anything. 
    headed to south cape late morning. Immediately saw a pod if albies. Got one shot and didn’t hook up. Saw one caught by boat. Popped up again out of range. After 12 didn’t see anything until about 5pm. A small pod popped up a few times. I had one or two shots and didn’t hook up. The pod moved out of range and one person on boat hooked up. no one from shore hooked up. The small bass were difficult to catch also. On peanuts all day. 
    So another day of 12 hr casting practice. I did catch one schoolie. 


  19. What type of braid and lb do you use. I use 15lb pp and 20lb flouro leader with small Vmc clip rated 30lb. I don like the leader going into the eye of the rod so it’s about a 18”. Uni to uni leader to braid. 
    Like any fish albies are easy to catch if they’re biting. Sometimes they will just not hit anything just like some of the bass I’ve been finding lately. 

  20. 9 hours ago, JTR said:

    Headed to the canal this morning for the first time in a long time. Could have fished pretty much anywhere I wanted along the entire stretch of the canal on both sides….. except Bell Rd. People stacked elbow to elbow, mostly all hucking pencil poppers. There was one quick school of schoolie sized bass or small blues that came through right at the shore and watched 12 people cast at them to no avail. 

    What exactly is the draw? Camaraderie? 

    I fished canal Friday sunrise but I was on east side of sagamore bridge. Very few people fishing. No fish either. Someone walking said there were some schoolies down the road but I didn’t have my bike and didn’t want to walk that distance. 
    hit bell rd around 10am and there wasn’t too many people there. No fish either. The other side by rr bridge also looks like a congregation place.  I stay away from these areas at peak times.  

  21. Crappy day for me from shore. Fished from 6am to 6pm and didn’t catch anything. Bass at day break on cape didn’t produce. Mid morning saw one pod of albies but didn’t want to cast over a couple of bait soakers. Didn’t see any again in that spot for a few hours and blind casting didn’t find any. Headed south cape in early afternoon. Loaded with peanuts and small bass crushing them all afternoon but they were not touching any oferings. Guy near me caught 2 albies in about 4 hours. Must have been the only two around all afternoon. no one else caught any and a sighting was very rare.