Having started to read this thread on Friday, I went out Sunday morning to see if I could catch on a sluggo. The wind and surf were pretty high ( I was in a boat) and I started with one of my "go to" lures, a Yo-zuri hydro pencil, thought I would have a problem with top water, but that was not the case. In short order I caught 3 schoolies (20-24), so decided to go to the sluggo, knowing fish were present. I was using a 9" white sluggo on a Beast Owner 1/4 oz. swim bait hook. It was riding fairly high in the water and would occasionally break the surface. After about 20 casts, and not a touch, I started to cast a Rebel Spook and connected on the first and second casts.
So I don't get it, let me know if there was an obvious error in my method. Thanks.