BST Users
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About summitstriper21

  • Rank
  1. A thorough clean of the drag with hard toothbrush bristles did the trick. There was some rust/salt buildup in the drag. Seems to be working fine again. I now see the appeal of a fully sealed drag.
  2. That's the exact issue.
  3. I have an LL Bean streamlight ultra large arbor reel that I've used in Salt for a few years now. I've been diligent about cleaning after each use and at the end of the season. I'm experiencing an issue where the reel retrieval matches the drag. What I mean is that if the drag is opened up, it reels in just fine. But with drag tightened down, it's very difficult to reel in. Has salt done its thing to this reel? Any help?
  4. Reading back through old posts and messages, I was reminded of past outings down in Chatham, meeting BonefishDick and fishing beside him. I didn't know him well, but he was gracious and welcoming to a newbie 10 years back just learning at Monomoy, offering me many private messages of tips and advice. I got to thinking, it's been a few years since I've posted a report, and I think this is one he would have appreciated and will try to do it in his style. I got to this southern Maine river around 4pm a half hour before high tide, knowing the upper stretch fishes best after it goes slack and begins flowing back towards the sea. With a 4 week old baby girl at home that arrived about when the stripers got here, this was my first outing of the season, and I didn't have much time. I usually take the kayak and like to follow the river 2 miles down to the mouth and fish the tail end of the outgoing tide or, when it's high, go upstream a short ways and follow a few narrow inlets in the estuary. It's a blast when the stripers push bait up into these narrow slots, some that I can just get a paddle stroke through in the kayak. But being short on time, the kayak stayed home, and I raced to get in the waders and lace up the boots. Walking at a brisk pace, I raced past the bait guys sitting near the bridge and worked my way across the mud and marsh grass, most filled now with 6" to 2' of water. I found my first usual spot, at a 90 degree bend in the river that coincides with a deep cut in the mud and a small inlet. I've caught many fish here before so don't skip this spot even though it isn't my primary target for the evening. It had rained hard through the early part of the afternoon and the wind was still up throwing a bit of drizzle around. I threw about 30 casts, my first of the season, and it felt great to just be on the water, hauling through the wind, even getting hung up on my rusty backcasts. As the tide began to slacken, I moved my way a few more bends upriver to a spot that forks in 3 directions and when the tide reverses, all begins to flow into a converging bowl that then wraps sharply into the main channel of fast moving water. This is usually the spot for me. I casted away, chucking into the normal spots - bumping the sand bar, hitting the mud on the opposite bank, dead drifting down the deepest slot of the mud canyon. I should pause here to say that during my time in quarantine, I finally made good on a yearning to learn how to tie flies. So this was the first time I was throwing self-tied flies. I started with a bigger chartreuse and white clouser, but I didn't like the action and found it was getting consistently fouled. After about 15 casts, I did something I rarely ever do here because I've never found it matters much with the schoolies, and that's switch colors. I switched to an olive and white clouser with a tiny gold flash. I immediately preferred the action of the sparser tied fly and realized I had put too much material, or material that isn't the best, on many of the flies I had tied. With Mom and baby expecting me home by 5:30 and the clock now a few minutest past 5, I was anxious for the outflow to pick up. I started slowly working my way up river, cast and side step, cast and side step, when I heard what sounded like a splash up river. I looked and saw a disturbance about 50 yards up river. I immediately stripped in my line and began bounding through the marsh, stepping in one hole that sent me to my knees. When I got to the next bend, I just stood still and waited. Then, a swirl on the far bank. I got ready to cast. Then a bigger slap right in the middle of the current. Mistakenly and over eager, I threw the cast on top of the last splash and stripped in quickly to no avail. There were a few more swirls upriver around the bend. This next cast I led out about 10 yards in front of the swirls and counted to 5 before beginning a much slower strip. Just as I began to feel the tension of my line in the current, that good old tug that I've so missed. I quickly landed and released a healthy schoolie, didn't measure but probably 16"-18." With releasing the fish, I reeled in my line while a half dozen splashes rose in the river. I high-tailed it to the car and raced home to a crying baby:) So some firsts - first fish of the year, first fish on a self-tied fly, first time ever leaving breaking fish, and first fish as a father. If you stayed with me for just the 1 small fish, thanks for reading.
  5. Jr, would you mind sending me a PM with the lodge, guide, timing and other details you have used on the East Outlet. I fished it for the first time last July, only for a few hours as I was passing through from a hiking trip and fell in love with the water. Only caught 2 real small landlocks but I've been dreaming of getting back there soon.
  6. Hey Dick, great report as always. To add to the idea that you meet many SOL members in this spot, I walked by and said a quick hello and nice fish just as you had released the 28" fish. Nice to see you again briefly in Chatham. Take care.
  7. Thanks for the report. Glad to see you found some fish. I got chased out of there by seals last thursday and friday. Even lost a fish to a seal and then was followed a ways down the beach by a pair of them. I'll be down there Fri-Sun. Hope to run into you again at some point. Take care.
  8. It seems there are more seals in the causeway than years prior at this time of year. Yesterday, I lost a fish to a seal. I retied and walked a mile down the beach towards the inlet and 2 seals seemed to follow me the whole way, only 20-30 yards off the beach. This morning, I was back down there and saw 7 seals on my walk down the beach. Each time I entered the water, It was a matter of minutes before a seal was in the area and watching me. I continued to walk further towards the inlet and finally found breaking fish just off the beach. While stripping out line for my first cast, 2 seals exploded on the pod of breaking fish. I reeled in the line and walked back towards the car. The place felt un-fishable, especially with the noseeums adding to the experience. Beautiful sunrise and glassy water with plenty of bait, birds, and breaking fish. Last year I experienced a number of spin guys get spooled or broken off by seals. I was always able to find other areas where the seals weren't. That seems to be changing down there and wondering how much that has to do with the new cut.
  9. Wife and I were at the beach yesterday and I took a walk down to the right to check out the new break. It was close to dead low but I liked the looks of the structure there. Quick, deep drop offs from the boat channel all the way down to the point. Easy water for a fly guy to reach last few hours of outgoing tide. Too much boat traffic mid day on the 4th of course and likely that kept the seals hidden away. Relatively short walk now. Talked to a guy fishing who said he saw some fish move through. Fished the sound side a few minutes up the road 4 mornings this week. Found fish each morning but mostly all small. Hard to say how the new water is affecting that area...
  10. A nice outgoing tide and a break in the rain/wind allowed a couple hours of great fishing. Picked up a dozen schoolies in the North River.
  11. Not expecting to find fish here yet, I hoped to catch sunrise, throw a few casts to get the winter rust off, and walk the beach to see how the the winter may have shifted beach structure. Didn't find any fish, but a beautiful morning stroll and had the whole place to myself. Felt great to be out!
  12. Thanks for the report, Dick. 13 hour fishing day is some serious endurance! Nice seeing you again and fishing next to you. More of the same with the seals this morning. There were 2 or 3 big ones around that came even closer. Spooled another spin guy and was chasing just about every hooked striper to within maybe 20 yards of the beach.
  13. Great looking Clousers! Olive and White was the ticket this morning in Chatham. Good number of fish (and fisherman) around.
  14. Thanks for the report, Dick. I fished Chatham this afternoon on the incoming tide. No stripers but lots of bait around. I will make the longer walk tomorrow morning.
  15. Hey everyone, I'm new to freshwater fly fishing and looking for some fly advice. Next week, I'll be making a 4 day backpacking loop through Baxter State Park and planning to fish the Russell Pond, Deep Pond, 6 Ponds area. What flies should I have with me? Thanks for your help.