scottyrich

BST Users
  • Content count

    381
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About scottyrich

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  1. Will take for 275 if still available
  2. etex. From a new bottle.
  3. Seems to be a problem with the resin going bad talked with another builder on here in more detail who had similar problems. Almost looks like someone took a qtip and poked the plug 20 times in the same general brush areas. Very weird because 75 percent of the plug is flawless then there is that. If it were on a darker plug you would barely notice. Damn yellow.
  4. Tried to salvage plugs about 8 of them wernt so bad the other 3 where garbage. Will have to bow out of this swap. I go on the road for work on the 1st and wont be home until may. Would like to get everyone who was in the swaps contact info so i could get them a plug once im back in the shop.
  5. Talked with another builder on here with more detail about the problems seems he has had similar problems and it stems from the resin going bad. Brand new bottles so they must of been on the shelf a while i guess live and learn.
  6. Posted this in the plug swap thread but will post it here to get some feed back as well. Going to copy and paste. Alright guys ill try to keep this short.... THIS IS THE SWAP FROM HELL!!! first batch of plugs ruined due to a sealer problem. More like my epoxy box problem over heating and sucking the epoxy back out of the wood.... those went into the trash. Finaly got around to painting the new batch of plugs on monday airbrush/compressor problems. Had to spray can them not the end of the world but i would of rathered used my guns. So ill get to the most important part. Put first layer of epoxy on last night i usually only do 1 thicker layer of epoxy. Was haveing a problem with working time on the etex. I only mix about as much epoxy for 6 plugs never have a problem with the viscosity lowering but with these at about plug number four the epoxy was starting to get slightly thicker. (Should have stoped but didnt) finished the next two and mixed next batch of 6 was better but still same problems. Got all plugs covered and looked good. No bubbles or anything. Came back to look at them tonight and half of the plugs have some bad epoxy scaleing. Going to try to wet sand and reapply a second coat to salvage them might mix enought epoxy for 2 plugs and go from there and see how it goes. If i cant fix the problem I will have to back out. Question for you guys is does it sound like the epoxy is bad?? Have never had a problem with working times when only doing 6 plugs.
  7. Alright guys ill try to keep this short.... THIS IS THE SWAP FROM HELL!!! first batch of plugs ruined due to a sealer problem. More like my epoxy box problem over heating and sucking the epoxy back out of the wood.... those went into the trash. Finaly got around to painting the new batch of plugs on monday airbrush/compressor problems. Had to spray can them not the end of the world but i would of rathered used my guns. So ill get to the most important part. Put first layer of epoxy on last night i usually only do 1 thicker layer of epoxy. Was haveing a problem with working time on the etex. I only mix abiut as much epoxy for 6 plugs never have a problem with the viscosity lowering but with these at about plug number four the epoxy was starting to get slightly thicker. (Should have stoped but didnt) finished the next two and mixed next batch of 6 was better but still same problems. Got all plugs covered and looked good. No bubbles or anything. Came back to look at them tonight and half of the plugs have some bad epoxy scaleing. Going to try to wet sand and reapply a second coat to salvage them might mix enought epoxy for 2 plugs and go from there and see how it goes. If i cant fix the problem we will have to back out. Question for you guys is does it sound like the epoxy is bad?? Have never had a problem with working times when only doing 6 plugs.
  8. I am epoxying the weights in place. The reason behind doing it this way is i need the weights to be set and drilled for the threw wire. Big wood requires alot of weight. I havent had a problem but that doesnt mean i wont have one down the road. I have thought of this breifly before and switched from useing the cheap 5 min epoxy for the weights and useing etex which is what i use to seal the plugs.
  9. Bump
  10. I have a century 1329 i throw these on for the time being. Think it's a 4-8? I have a spinning im useing but have a convench i just got from chefchris. Hopeing to use that in situations i dont need a sealed reel.
  11. Double post
  12. have a few telephone poles in my rod arsenal.. Think i have a pair of big jointed pikies you did years ago thats where i got into the big plugs.
  13. Here is a pic with a BM cowboy sr in the middle for size reference.And one while testing last fall.
  14. So after a sealer problem on the batch of "normal" sized lures i was already in the prossess of making a batch of xl cowboys. These are around 10 inches 8oz and get down around 10 feet but can double that by benting lip and wire. These can also be trolled from a boat and will get down even deeper.
  15. Still have it 500 picked up in boston or 525 shipped