BST Users
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About CaptJoeVerdino

  • Rank


  • About Me:
    New Jersey Native, relocated to Fort Myers, Florida.
  • Interests (Hobbies, favorite activities, etc.):
  • What I do for a living:
    Charter Captain
  1. From the album Forum Attachments

  2. From the album Forum Attachments

  3. You can use live shrimp or fiddler crabs and fish for sheepshead along the docks and pilings. Also shrimp under a poping cork for trout and ladyfish, maybe even a snook or two.
  4. Thanks, funny thing I'm thinking of taking the family up to Mass in the late summer. Going to do the Hyannis & Cape Cod thing with the kids, I used to go every year and now the kids are just big enough to understand a little of what they see.
  5. On the 6th the day started out with a 2-3 ft chop as we made our way out to the first stop in 130ft. The wreck we would be fishing has held pretty good populations of snapper in the past but recently they have been hard to find. With a very mild current and a light tide change I figured toady would be a good opportunity to see if we could turn them on with some chum. As soon as we were on location the chum went out and we first tried for some amberjack. It didn't take very long before we had our limit of fish in the 25 pound range. All took live pinfish that were dropped about 60-70feet deep. With those fish on ice we turned out attention to the yellowtail snapper that was our main reasn for this trip. With the chum slick keeping a steady stream of tidbits floating behind the boat we first started fishing on the bottom. A few fish were taken but the size was from just under to just over keeper. Then after about a good hour since we pulled up we tried using some jigs and live shrimp. With recent changes in fisheries laws we weren't able to use jigs because a circle hook had to be used with any natural baits. Luckily one of our local shops is now producing circle hook jigs and we were using them for the first time. As it turns out they work just as good as a regular jig and they are easier to get out after landing a fish. With a 3 man limit of yellowtail snapper from 12-20 inches we decided to go hit a ledge in 65 ft to try for a limit of mangrove snapper. Once at the ledge we used our last box of chum to get the snapper biting. We decided since we were getting short on time we would fish the entire water column. One person flat lined, one used a jig, and the other fished bottom. Within minutes we were getting double and triple hook ups and the fish were from 14-22 inches. We even released a few gag grouper, some pretty close to keeper size. One of the bigger snapper even qualified as a womens IGFA record in the 20 pound line class. With the fish boxes stuffed full of 60 snapper it was now time to head home. The ride in was terrific since the seas calmed to almost glass smooth. Then at the docks we got the chance to show off our catch and record all the stats for the record fish. A crowd gathered as we took photos and my crew was getting the star treatment. African Pompano The 8th I decided to try for a repeat of the previous day and we re-ran the exact same course as the last time. Hoping that the bite would still be there we fished the wreck for AJ's as soon as we stopped and 3 out of 4 fish were landed. Then we got quite a nice surprise as we started fishing for yellowtail something huge hit one of the baits. This was much bigger and much faster than the yellowtail we expected and after about a 20 minute fight we got a chance to see what it was, Black Fin Tuna!!!! That's the kind of surprise everyone likes to get. With all the big fish on ice it was time to get back to yellowtail fishing. The chum was working, the seas were a light chop, and the anglers were quite competent. On this day though, except for just a few, the fish just didn't want to bite. After about an hour of fishing more than catching it was time to get ourselves to the ledge in 65ft. Once over the site we got the chum going, the hooks baited, and hopes raised. Just like a couple days ago the fish were on fire as soon as bits hit the water. We had a steady stream of bet rods and the count was going really high really fast. We had to take a break just so I could get an accurate count of what we had, just to be sure we didn't go over the limit. Then after the count we added a few more fish to get our limit, released a nice keeper sized gag, and we headed for the docks. Just like the other day we cruised in on calm seas and as we reached the dock the crowed gathered to ask questions. As we offloaded our catch, the crew was given praises for doing such a great job and catching so many beautiful fish. Once again the fillet table was at maximum capacity and everyone had big smiles as they posed for pictures.
  6. I would suggest any local tackle shop, I don't know if they have one on captiva. Matlache has D&D which is a great place for local info. The bait box on Sanibel is also pretty good from what I've heard. I'm not an inshore guy so I can't really give you any better info, sorry.
  7. If you can find a nice grass flat you can chum up some small pinfish and throw the net. Other option would be run the beach on the gulf side and find some bait in shallow water. Option 3 would be sabiki some bait in the gulf side.
  8. Well it's sad to say but no place is "reliable" just because of all the variables. If the wind is blowing the bait boats can't get out, if the demand isn't there it's too costly to order bait that will sit until it dies. A cast net would be a wise investment.
  9. The day started out with me "thinking" I don't know if I can trust the forecast but I'll have to depend on my ability. "Thinking" I figured the 10-15 kt winds and seas of 3 ft had to be a lie since there was a small craft caution the day before and plans for warnings the next day. Luckily the winds were forecast for east to north east and because I was "thinking" I knew it meant the afternoon sea breeze would calm things down even if it was rough. Then "thinking about my course I figured to run north up the intracoastal and enter the Gulf from Redfish Pass. This would put the wind at my back or quartering from the starboard stern. The conditions were exactly what I expected 3-5 with a few bigger than that and whitecaps all over the joint. We made our way out at 20-25 mph with me steering around the back sides of the bigger waves. I decided on a few spots about 35 miles out knowing as the day went on we would be able to get out further. Our first stop was in 85 feet on an old tug boat wreck. We got some pinfish in the water and within minutes we were battling some 20-25 pound amberjack. The bottom rigs with shrimp were getting hits but the fish were either small or smart because nobody could hook one. After about an hour and a half the seas had calmed enough to try spot number 2 which was just a mile away. For some reason this was a dead zone even though the sonar was reading plenty of fish. So with half an hour put in and not one bite we went to our final stop in 100 feet. At the last stop I was hoping for the ledge to produce some mangrove snapper and maybe if we were lucky a scamp or two. The mangroves were easy to come by but the scamp couldn't be found. We did catch and release quite a few nice gags which I plan to see again in April. Luckily my "thinking" payed dividends during the day and made the trip out worth the ride. Then just as I hoped the sea breeze kicked in and the seas calmed to 2 ft or less for the ride home. I'm pretty sure everyone aboard was thankful for the easy ride home. Back at the docks the crew was met with a heroes welcome as the catch was offloaded. The fillet table was nearly full and everyone was answering questions about where we went and what we caught. That's probably the best part of the day for me and just one of the many reasons I love fishing.
  10. I don't know of any party boats in the cape, closest would be Ft Myers Beach. Capt Tony's or Getaway both are good boats but remember it's party boat fishing.
  11. A red/white combo on a jig always works well. I don't kow what it is about that pattern but it is always the one to get hit.
  12. I had the pleasure of hosting some of the members of the "Brooks Fishing Club". The forecast was for east winds of 10-15 kt with seas of 2ft or less. I figured it would be a bit more choppy with the higher winds but I was way wrong. The reason I was so wrong was as usual NOAA got the forecast wrong. It turned out to be a dead calm with no wind or waves at all. With the completely flat conditions I knew this was going to be a long day. Any time the water is slick it's hard to get a bite going. So at the first stop in 120 feet the results were pretty much as expected. We caught a few small bait fish in the hour we spent there. Spot number 2 was about 10 miles away and off we went with the thought that it couldn't get worse. Luckily this spot showed us some better results with a few amberjack hitting pinfish. We kept a few for the table and then played catch and release while waiting for one big one to show up. The big guy never arrived and even with heavy chumming we couldn't get a snapper bite. So off we raced to spot number three. This time we threw everything we had and prayed for better results. On this day it just wasn't going to happen. Snapper were just not feeding and the one big hit we got on bottom turned out to be like a 60 pound goliath. Thenjust before we were ready to pull anchor another big hit, This was no goliath, it moved way too fast for that. The fish was on the bottom and wasn't going to come up without a fight. Luckily for everyone on the boat the youngest guy was doing all the hard work. We watched as he strained and struggled, whimpered and groaned, and slowly gained a turn or two on the reel. At this point I think everyone stopped to watch as Chris put everything he had into fighting this fish. After a while we were starting to think the fish may have gained the upper hand but we knew Chris would never admit it. Then with some more pulling, a lot of groaning, and just a little luck the fish was at the surface. This was a real beast of an amberjack the biggest we've landed so far in 2009. We got the fish aboard and quickly realised it was too big for the fish bow. So we emptied our biggest cooler dropped the fish in and loaded ice on top. The end of the tail was still sticking out because the body took up every inch of space we had. After that we tried one last stop for a red grouper or two but we just couldn't get it to happen. The 4 th spot was reading plenty of bottom action but still produced the same results. At the end of the day the tally wasn't much in quantity but the size of the fish we did get made up for the low numbers. 86 pounds of pure pain
  13. There is your biggest problem, that guy is a real JERK!!!! I just saw him in Bass Pro shop and he tried to push past my 7 year old son on the stairs. He got a little sarcastic with me when I pulled my son close and just stood there waiting for him to go by. It took everything in me not to slap the stupid right out of him. I was telling a friend the story on my cell phone and a total stranger walks up and says "I hope he dies a slow painful death" and tells me how Roland wouldn't grant a Make A Wish for a terminal child. The kids only request was to fish with Roland Martin and the reply was "he couldn't find the time in his schedule". As for Naples there are a lot of places that connect to the Gulf it might have been Naples Bay, the Gordon River, Keewaydin Island or a few others. Any chance you have that show on tape or know how to find the original air date? If so you might be able to track down the guide that showed Roland around. The guide does all the work and then they edit everything to look like Roland did something. I know one good spot is the rocks at the south side of the Gordons Pass. I think most people live bait but snook action is pretty good there.
  14. You already know who to go with, that kind of honesty is hard to find in the charter industry. Most times it's said after you have paid the fare.
  15. Yes, To vent tool, non-stainless circle hooks, and dehooker. FYI any dehooker counts you don't need the ARC brand. Also all grouper is closed in the Gulf as starting Feb 15th. Some have already closed as of Feb 1