StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Fishing Industry Insiders › Premium Fishing Brands: Direct Connect › PENN Fishing › the new Penn Spinfisher 6500BLS bailess reel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

the new Penn Spinfisher 6500BLS bailess reel

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
This post was originally in the main forum but it was suggested I move it to the penn forum

My fishing partner and I each bought the new Spinfisher 6500 BLS this past friday. Casted all day saturday and 2 hours Sunday morning. The reel casts beautifully and the drag is smooth. What we both found out is you cant grab the line with your finger and flip it under the roller after a cast holding the reel between your 4 fingers. You have to hold the reel between the pinky and the adjoining finger. If Penn put the stem on the reel seat foot more forward under the rotor it would of made flicking the line under roller a breeze by holding the reel between the 4 fingers instead of between the pinky and adjoining finger. Both reels have a continuos grinding feeling as you turn the handle. It seems to be coming from the knob on the handle so I added a few drops of synthetic lube to it to no avail, I don't know what this feeling could be, if anybody has a fix for it i'd appreciate it.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhook52 View Post

This post was originally in the main forum but it was suggested I move it to the penn forum

My fishing partner and I each bought the new Spinfisher 6500 BLS this past friday. Casted all day saturday and 2 hours Sunday morning. The reel casts beautifully and the drag is smooth. What we both found out is you cant grab the line with your finger and flip it under the roller after a cast holding the reel between your 4 fingers. You have to hold the reel between the pinky and the adjoining finger. If Penn put the stem on the reel seat foot more forward under the rotor it would of made flicking the line under roller a breeze by holding the reel between the 4 fingers instead of between the pinky and adjoining finger. Both reels have a continuos grinding feeling as you turn the handle. It seems to be coming from the knob on the handle so I added a few drops of synthetic lube to it to no avail, I don't know what this feeling could be, if anybody has a fix for it i'd appreciate it.

Jan,

I will pass your info about the stem of the reel on to the Engineer on the project. Your other question about the noise, if you feel it is coming from the handle knob add more than a few drops, try adding about 5 drops, spin the knob a few times, add 5 more drops and rotate again. If the noise is still there, it may not be coming from the handle.

tony

Let The Battle Begin - PENN Fishing

www.pennfishing.com

Reply

Let The Battle Begin - PENN Fishing

www.pennfishing.com

Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
I didn't write noise...its a grinding as you turn the handle,YOU FEEL IT IN YOUR HAND..it is in both the new reels me and my friend bought at J &H.... as for the placement of the stem...I think using the existing body of the 6500 body and using a rotor with a manual roller installed on it to make the BLS just doesn't work ...there is a lot of pressure on the pinky holding the reel between the pinky and the next finger in order to be able to use the finger to flip the line under the roller after each cast.. The reel has been used now and I cant return it...any suggestions?
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhook52 View Post

I didn't write noise...its a grinding as you turn the handle,YOU FEEL IT IN YOUR HAND..it is in both the new reels me and my friend bought at J &H.... as for the placement of the stem...I think using the existing body of the 6500 body and using a rotor with a manual roller installed on it to make the BLS just doesn't work ...there is a lot of pressure on the pinky holding the reel between the pinky and the next finger in order to be able to use the finger to flip the line under the roller after each cast.. The reel has been used now and I cant return it...any suggestions?

Jan,

I passed your info to the Engineer on the bail-less project. This reel was field-tested for months by 15 different Anglers and they had no complaints about the placement of the stem. You can convert the bail-less reel to bailed.

tony

Let The Battle Begin - PENN Fishing

www.pennfishing.com

Reply

Let The Battle Begin - PENN Fishing

www.pennfishing.com

Reply
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
ahh I see... the compaint would of been something like "cant reach the line with the index finger after a cast" you didnt mention anything about the grinding feeling as you turn the handle... I can prepare a video of the index finger trying to reach the line..and I will forward the youtube link so you will see what the problem is..
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhook52 View Post

ahh I see... the compaint would of been something like "cant reach the line with the index finger after a cast" you didnt mention anything about the grinding feeling as you turn the handle... I can prepare a video of the index finger trying to reach the line..and I will forward the youtube link so you will see what the problem is..

Jan,

Did adding the extra oil to the handle knob help? It is hard to guess without feeling the reel first hand. You can send the reel in and we can take a look at it under warranty, or if you live near any authorized warranty centers they can look at it under warranty.

http://www.pennreels.com/service/warranty-centers

tony

Let The Battle Begin - PENN Fishing

www.pennfishing.com

Reply

Let The Battle Begin - PENN Fishing

www.pennfishing.com

Reply
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhook52 View Post

This post was originally in the main forum but it was suggested I move it to the penn forum

My fishing partner and I each bought the new Spinfisher 6500 BLS this past friday. Casted all day saturday and 2 hours Sunday morning. The reel casts beautifully and the drag is smooth. What we both found out is you cant grab the line with your finger and flip it under the roller after a cast holding the reel between your 4 fingers. You have to hold the reel between the pinky and the adjoining finger. If Penn put the stem on the reel seat foot more forward under the rotor it would of made flicking the line under roller a breeze by holding the reel between the 4 fingers instead of between the pinky and adjoining finger. Both reels have a continuos grinding feeling as you turn the handle. It seems to be coming from the knob on the handle so I added a few drops of synthetic lube to it to no avail, I don't know what this feeling could be, if anybody has a fix for it i'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENN Fishing View Post

Jan,

I passed your info to the Engineer on the bail-less project. This reel was field-tested for months by 15 different Anglers and they had no complaints about the placement of the stem. You can convert the bail-less reel to bailed.

tony

This has me baffled about the pickup of the line with your finger. I have not found one in person yet to check it out but on this video from Surfcasters Journal he is holding the reel between his pinky finger and ring finger. I hope it is OK to post the video. The part that I am talking about starts at 2:16 in the video.

Ron

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
yes I see it... I will watch this saturday to see where all the guys on the beach are holding their reels..the inside of my pinky is still sore from last weekend...
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
[VIDEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhyuTVvT1KcO][/VIDEO] browsing so many videos everyone else holds the stem between the ring finger and the forefinger
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhyuTVvT1Kc how did you get the video to show in the thread instead of the url?
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhook52 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhyuTVvT1Kc how did you get the video to show in the thread instead of the url?
I

I PMed you back but I see you got it figured out. Yea, I see with this video what you are talking about. I know all these years that I have been fishing I also put the reel shaft in between my middle and ring finger and just thought you maybe had to change for the bail-less. I have to look into this reel as soon as I see one in the tackle shop. Hopefully I will get to check one out this weekend.

Thanks for your info.

Ron
post #13 of 13
Guys c, mon , hold the reel any which way you feel like holding it , headscratch.gif i have found dependent on weight of the setup and balance that i hold a reel in a few different positions and they all work fine . After a while it's just fluid involuntary movements that your not even aware of .

Remember these reels are designed and built to work the best for the widest range of people out there and thats what they do (as per Toni's post about the field testers having no complaints) if you happen to be someone who finds it difficult thats unfortunate but it's not the reels fault. I hate the handle length on some reels but i know others think it's fine , thats my problem not the reels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PENN Fishing
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Fishing Industry Insiders › Premium Fishing Brands: Direct Connect › PENN Fishing › the new Penn Spinfisher 6500BLS bailess reel