StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Cooking Your Catch › Need ideas for roasting a tuna head
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need ideas for roasting a tuna head

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
All I have to go on is a vague memory from a Bizaar Food episode but I'm pretty sure there's something tasty to eat in there. Kind of thinking that I'm going to marinade it is some kind of salty sweet paste or maybe teriyaki-like. Maple?

Any ideas?
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post

All I have to go on is a vague memory from a Bizaar Food episode but I'm pretty sure there's something tasty to eat in there. Kind of thinking that I'm going to marinade it is some kind of salty sweet paste or maybe teriyaki-like. Maple?

Any ideas?

I would perhaps roast it with some herbs and citrus...pull whatever meat you can off it and make a healthy tuna salad.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Nite View Post

I would perhaps roast it with some herbs and citrus...pull whatever meat you can off it and make a healthy tuna salad.

Hadn't quite figured how to get citrus into it for roasting so now my latest idea is too roast it with just salt and then make some kind of ponzu type sauce for serving or maybe tossed with picked meat for some kind of tuna salad.
post #4 of 14
This came up last year. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/841565/andrew-zimmern-roasted-tuna-head

I would like to do this too. Need to get me a head.
post #5 of 14
Found this on the web....

Yukihiko’s Toro Gama Zitate
1. Make tuna sauce by mixing 6 cups soy sauce, 3 cups water, 2 cups mirin, 2 cups brown sugar, and 4 minced garlic cloves, in a large saucepan. Simmer until reduced by 1/3.
2. Add 1/2 tuna sauce and 1/2 water to a pot, and bring to a boil; insert the tuna head and steam for 1/2 an hour.
3. Remove tuna head and place in oven, set to 350-degrees. Baste with tuna sauce, and bake 1/2 an hour or until browned.
- Yukihiko says the eyeballs are the very best… but if you ask me, the collar and cheeks are impossible to beat!
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Found this on the web....

Yukihiko’s Toro Gama Zitate
1. Make tuna sauce by mixing 6 cups soy sauce, 3 cups water, 2 cups mirin, 2 cups brown sugar, and 4 minced garlic cloves, in a large saucepan. Simmer until reduced by 1/3.
2. Add 1/2 tuna sauce and 1/2 water to a pot, and bring to a boil; insert the tuna head and steam for 1/2 an hour.
3. Remove tuna head and place in oven, set to 350-degrees. Baste with tuna sauce, and bake 1/2 an hour or until browned.
- Yukihiko says the eyeballs are the very best… but if you ask me, the collar and cheeks are impossible to beat!

Saw that one, thanks. It fits with my first thought which was teriyaki. I may do this one since will also have some belly and steaks going on the grill with honey- lime glaze and maybe some spicy tuna rolls. Plus I have all the stuff in the house and I'm doing it now while wife is out. ;-) If I wasn't so tired and late I would have had 4 extra heads with collars and racks up for grabs since nobody else on the boat is very adventurous.
post #7 of 14
has any one grilled tuna collers?
post #8 of 14
I have had grilled tuna collars (I think they may have been yellow tail) in one of my favorite sushi restaurants, Hanamazuki, in Orlando FL.

I am sure the recipe is similar to the one above, a sweet savory glaze. They were one of the best Japanese dishes that I have eaten to date.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post

I have had grilled tuna collars (I think they may have been yellow tail) in one of my favorite sushi restaurants, Hanamazuki, in Orlando FL.

I am sure the recipe is similar to the one above, a sweet savory glaze. They were one of the best Japanese dishes that I have eaten to date.

I'm basicly cooking the head for the collars and anything else I can get is a bonus. The head is out of the cooking liquid and a quick sample was really good and texture should get better with roasting. Saved the liquid to glaze it. Seems to also be a fair amount of meat in the back of the head plus the cheeks so probably worth doing this.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
The collars came out great. The rest of the head had quite a lot of moist tender meat, certainly a success for economic use of a tuna. Certainly want to grab the collars every time.



Was a good trip

post #11 of 14
How were the eyes? I understand they always go to the head of the family or honored guest.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post

How were the eyes? I understand they always go to the head of the family or honored guest.

Eyes, yuck. Actual eyeball was a marble in a shot glass after cooking. Think Zimmern went on and on about the meat behind the eyes. Tried it but it was a gelatinous mess IMHO. Sort of like marrow without the taste.

post #13 of 14
Well -- How did you cook it? What would you suggest to someone who got a head??
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Well -- How did you cook it? What would you suggest to someone who got a head??

Yukihiko’s Toro Gama Zitate recipe that you posted.
This was only a 20 lb fish so it was all guestimates on times. Steamed the head on a low simmer in it 10 minutes per side, let cool in foil. Was starting to fall apart already. Indirect on a hot kettle loosely foiled about half an hour, turned halfway, basted lightly with strained sauce from steaming
Collars were the exceptional pieces, texture kind of like bbq ribs, so if cooking the whole head is daunting so miss those. The meat from the head was nice and moist and well worth keeping. Back of the head much like the loin steaks but the face and around the jaws had some really nice moist tender pieces.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Your Catch
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Cooking Your Catch › Need ideas for roasting a tuna head