StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Kayaking and Kayak Fishing Forum › berkley gulp + tube and worm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

berkley gulp + tube and worm

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

has anyone tried berkley gulp as a tube and worm trailer

post #2 of 17
I've tried it and it'll work. So will the Fishbites. The Fishbites need to be kept dry or they'll turn into mush. I still find real sandworms or blood worms to outfish either Gulp or Fishbites on tube n worm. If you don't mind seeking out and paying for real sandworms, they are my number one choice.
post #3 of 17
They work, but nothing works as good as real worms. I use them as backup if I run out of the real sandworms... I also used small dead eels with some success this year... especially if the bluefish were stealing my sandworms... The eels are tough as nails and didn't get ripped off the hook very easily..
post #4 of 17

When is the best time to use the Tube+Worm? I trolled an entire bay with nothing. I was using the gulp blood worms...

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshifty View Post

When is the best time to use the Tube+Worm? I trolled an entire bay with nothing. I was using the gulp blood worms...

It doesn't matter what you are trolling unless you get it in front of some fish,..so that's number one!! It may be that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time or wrong tide. I fish plenty of places like that,...some days and times you will kill them and other times it is just completely devoid of fish!
Assuming that you were there when there were some fish around though,..other problems may be that you are trolling too fast and/or too high in the water column. T&W is very effective technique but if you are pulling it too fast you will catch nothing, or at best, you will only get small stripers and bluefish! (Smaller fish tend to be more willing to chase somehting...) Likewise to the right speed,..you also need to keep your tube in the bottom of the water column (most of the time..). You don't need to be right ON the bottom getting hung up or collecting weeds,..but the closer that you can get your tube to the structure, generally the more successful that you will be!
Good luck,..I hope you stick a big one the next time you try!! wink.gif
post #6 of 17
I always use night crawlers they seem to do just fine
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4fun View Post

It doesn't matter what you are trolling unless you get it in front of some fish,..so that's number one!! It may be that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time or wrong tide. I fish plenty of places like that,...some days and times you will kill them and other times it is just completely devoid of fish!
Assuming that you were there when there were some fish around though,..other problems may be that you are trolling too fast and/or too high in the water column. T&W is very effective technique but if you are pulling it too fast you will catch nothing, or at best, you will only get small stripers and bluefish! (Smaller fish tend to be more willing to chase somehting...) Likewise to the right speed,..you also need to keep your tube in the bottom of the water column (most of the time..). You don't need to be right ON the bottom getting hung up or collecting weeds,..but the closer that you can get your tube to the structure, generally the more successful that you will be!
Good luck,..I hope you stick a big one the next time you try!! wink.gif

Do you use a keel or any weight? I wasn't trolling too quick, just kind of chugging around. I assumed fishing the slower moving waters of the bays on the north shore that I wouldn't need any weight.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshifty View Post

Do you use a keel or any weight? I wasn't trolling too quick, just kind of chugging around. I assumed fishing the slower moving waters of the bays on the north shore that I wouldn't need any weight.

I try to avoid using a keel unless I'm in deep water. After 12-14 ft of water I'll throw keel on. If I can avoid the weight I will. In deep water you dont have a choice but to use a weight unless the bass are biting at a higher water column.
post #9 of 17
Instead of a keel,..I tie two inline swivels about 6" apart,..a couple of feet ahead of the tube. Then I use rubber-core weights, placed between the two swivels. This setup is much, much less of a weed collector than a keel is. I use a 3/8 ounce weight in little or no current to get down in the 10-15 foot zone. In moderate current and deeper water I have gone as high as 2 ounces,...but usually 3/8 to 3/4 is the typical range for me in 10-20 FOW.
At any given weight,..you can also adjust your depth by letting out more (or less) line.
post #10 of 17

Just4fun- Do u have any pics of this setup?

 

I think I know what u mean but just want to be sure..I have never seen or tried that set up...

 

Thanks

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtro6 View Post

Just4fun- Do u have any pics of this setup?

I think I know what u mean but just want to be sure..I have never seen or tried that set up...

Thanks
It's very simple,..but I'll take a pic tonight if I can remember!
Originally I just tried one swivel between the mainline and the leader,..but that gave me a lot of line twist and also the rubber core weight would sometimes slide down the line towards the tube over time. Splicing a second swivel into the leader a few inches down solved both problems!
post #12 of 17
I use Uncle Josh meat nightcrawler when in a pinch for sandworms. But as John stated theres nothing that works as well as a real sandworm. Good luck!
post #13 of 17
I saw a skinner vid where he used the gulp worm and did well.

Is their a difference between the gulp worms in the bag or "bulk jar". Looks like the bag has less fluid in it.

Any preference?
post #14 of 17
somedays it works great -others frown.gif, real sandworms dont last 5 sec when porgies are around but with gulp you get a little more time befroe its ripped to crap
post #15 of 17
Try combining both. Small piece of sandworm, then tipped with the Gulp artificial. Keeps the Porgies at bay ( at times) and provides the scent of the real thing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Kayaking and Kayak Fishing Forum › berkley gulp + tube and worm