New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

tarpon 140

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I have a tarpon 140 and the hatches leak. does anyone elses tarpon 140 leak.

also does anyone know how to fix this

post #2 of 20
are you sure they are leaking ? you can get alot of condensation this time of year.
post #3 of 20
Is it an older model with the rubber type covers or the newer one with the orbix covers?
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel-em-in View Post

Is it an older model with the rubber type covers or the newer one with the orbix covers?

the newer ones if any wake or swells come over the bow water comes in

its not a problem when im fishing lakes now but in the later fall striper fishing it cand be a problem

its really bad when i lanch from the surf  then there lots of water when i get in

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdash View Post

are you sure they are leaking ? you can get alot of condensation this time of year.

yeah when i fish on a lake theres little or no water and when i fish bay/ ocean where lots of water comes over the bow when i get in theres lots of water

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfisherman5 View Post

the newer ones if any wake or swells come over the bow water comes in

its not a problem when im fishing lakes now but in the later fall striper fishing it cand be a problem

its really bad when i lanch from the surf  then there lots of water when i get in


I bought a tarpon 140 this year and had that problem too. The 8" round orbix cover should have a rubber o-ring gasket and the front orbix cover should have a foam type gasket. Mine didn't come with the foam gasket. I contacted my dealer and wilderness systems sent one out right away. Fixed the issue. Make sure you have both gaskets.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel-em-in View Post


I bought a tarpon 140 this year and had that problem too. The 8" round orbix cover should have a rubber o-ring gasket and the front orbix cover should have a foam type gasket. Mine didn't come with the foam gasket. I contacted my dealer and wilderness systems sent one out right away. Fixed the issue. Make sure you have both gaskets.

 

i have both and it still leaks it was a used boat when i got it but its a 2011 model and was a demo boat mabe used 1 or twice

post #8 of 20
The 8" hatch gasket ("o"-ring) in the lid and they work great. The larger hatches use this strip insulation gasket which suck.

On all my large Orbix hatches, I removed the gaskets, cleaned the inside of the lid and the base hatch with iso alcohol. Used Qtips toget in them grooves.

After drying, I took a quality UV resistant silicone glue and drew a continuous bead along the hatch trench, and also the lid trench where you'd except "o" ring type gaskets should be supplied.

After several hours (depending upon time, humidity, and temp) to a day, I repeated the process to build up the silicone bead again and let dry with the lid propped open.

Problem solved.

God luck!
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by staktup View Post

The 8" hatch gasket ("o"-ring) in the lid and they work great. The larger hatches use this strip insulation gasket which suck.
On all my large Orbix hatches, I removed the gaskets, cleaned the inside of the lid and the base hatch with iso alcohol. Used Qtips toget in them grooves.
After drying, I took a quality UV resistant silicone glue and drew a continuous bead along the hatch trench, and also the lid trench where you'd except "o" ring type gaskets should be supplied.
After several hours (depending upon time, humidity, and temp) to a day, I repeated the process to build up the silicone bead again and let dry with the lid propped open.
Problem solved.
God luck!

thanks ill try that

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by staktup View Post

The 8" hatch gasket ("o"-ring) in the lid and they work great. The larger hatches use this strip insulation gasket which suck.
On all my large Orbix hatches, I removed the gaskets, cleaned the inside of the lid and the base hatch with iso alcohol. Used Qtips toget in them grooves.
After drying, I took a quality UV resistant silicone glue and drew a continuous bead along the hatch trench, and also the lid trench where you'd except "o" ring type gaskets should be supplied.
After several hours (depending upon time, humidity, and temp) to a day, I repeated the process to build up the silicone bead again and let dry with the lid propped open.
Problem solved.
God luck!

Any chance you could snap a few pictures?

post #11 of 20
I can't post to the server for some reason... I have some pix...
post #12 of 20

That's a bummer. I'd really like to see exactly what you did.

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 

ill give it a try thanks for the help

post #14 of 20
thanks I had to use scupper plugs to keep the water from going in the cockpit hatch. Would have to pull to shore to drain the yak on long rides.


this is helpful
post #15 of 20
I got the pix up now. I had to apply several layers over time to build the silicone up. !st pic is the hatch base, second is a close-up of the lid itself.





New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home